Capture NX and Vista...

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Desert Rat, Jul 20, 2007.

1. So, wanted to know how NX works with a Vista system? ANyone using a Vista 64bit system?

2. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    NX and Vista

Don't know about the 64 bit version but it works on the 32 bit version of Vista Ultimate.

3. Good question!

With the impending Intel price drop I plan to build a new Quadcore Q6600 system with 4GB ram and have been considering making the switch to Vista 64 to allow me to think about using 8GB of ram. I often have NX running batch processes in background while using MediaView and/or Photoshop in foreground.

The only concerning comments that I have read about Vista in general has been about color management issues created when Vista asks you to validate your admin password, which I think can be turned off. The issue with Vista 64 seems to be lack of hardware drivers for older hardware, since I am building a new system with all new hardware I would think that this would not be too much of a problem.

I would like to hear from anyone using NX and CS3 concurrently under Vista 64. Do they play nice?

4. Well, I built a Quadcore Q6600 systemwith 4GB now but adding 4more GB shortly... Installed Vista 64bit Premium and Photoshop plays nicely with it...

Everything I use or have in hardweare with the single exception of my Nikon Scanner has 64bit drivers to use for the system...

Have not calibrated my monitor yet, nor have I tried out Capture NX yet with it....

5. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    While everyone like to go nutty about "color management" at the OS level, the most highly used professional tools completely bypass what the OS does anyway (completly dismissing the supposed big "Apple" advantage with regards to color management).

What kind of work flow are you doing that requires good OS level color management? The few apps that can take advantage of it, end up having their own superior color management anyway. Examples being Adobe Photoshop.

6. My bad!

I have always believed that "color management" starts with the accurate calibration of the monitor, which appears to be a system/OS level issue since it is hardware related and spans across all applications. I was not aware that you could make accurate color adjustments in Photoshop without having a calibrated monitor.

I have two NEC 19" crts running on my ATI 9800 PRO vid card. Without calibration one has a blue cast the other has a red cast. I use a GMB EyeOne to calibrate both monitors. After calibration, both monitors display my images the same, and both match the printed output from either my i9100 or the lab that I use.

I guess I will have to dive into Photoshop and find out how I can get an accurate color rendition without having my monitors calibrated! To think I blew $300 on a colorimeter that I really didnt need.

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well need is relative. No, you did not waste $300 dollars on anything.

Color management is not just making proper calibrations or making profiles, it is about using said profiles. You cannot make accurate color adjustments in photoshop without a calibrator. However, Adobe Gamma does let you do some tweaking, but no profile if I remember correctly..., I do not advise it though.

You need to use applications that actually USE these profiles. Adobe lets you pick profiles to use for the monitor and for output. The "Apple" advantage was you could use the "built in" Color management system which helps you manage profiles.

Microsoft has this too by the way. No one really uses it though. Most docs for photoshop will tell you to just manually pick profiles.

Big whoop. One of the hardest parts of color managment is making the profiles which always needs a calibrator regardless of the OS you use. (hence you can see why there is no apple advantage; you stlll need to buy a calibrator). And just how hard is it to tell photoshop to pick the monitor profile and output printer profile...

It isn't hard. But deciding on which profile to use and how to generate the profile accurately CAN be maddening. Most of this comes on the printing/proofing side, not the monitor calibration side. Apple does not help you here either.

From what I can discern (anyone who uses apple can correct me if I am wrong here), the difference is, in photoshop, you'd just say "use the apple color check system" for profiling. You still need to pump accurate profiles into their system (via hardware calibrator). There is no advantage. Docs I have seen for color managed printing via photoshop (because color management without an application that uses it is... pointless. :) ) show explicit decisions for both PC and MAC. Gee.