Capture NX Booster

I wasn't sure if this post should go here or in the Capture NX forum, but I'm sure the mod's will move it if I picked wrong. :smile: Anyway, I've been upgrading my desktop computer (still an ongoing process) in the hunt for faster and more efficient post-processing, and I just hit on something that showed tangible results.

I recently installed an SSD for my operating system (Win7 64) and major programs, which free'd up my prior primary HDD - a WD Velociraptor. Now I copy the photos I want to process to a working folder on that drive (I store my final photos on a Drobo S - another highly recommended product). I just processed two sets of photos in Capture NX, applying a new WB, slight exposure adjustment and USM. Both sets were shot at the same location with the same camera/lens. The first set were on a regular HDD, the second on the 'Raptor. I checked the time on the Capture NX2 batch process log for both sets, and the same operation on the 'Raptor took 5 seconds less per photos (average of 7 seconds each versus 12 on a Seagate drive). For 188 photos, that was about 15 minutes faster on the 'Raptor. That's a significant real world difference.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Interesting. Now could you try this experiment. Create a folder on the SSD and copy a bunch of photos to it. Now batch process them with NX2 on the SSD itself. Time it. Then copy them back to where they belong. This could be automated, if the time savings were worthwhile. The SSD will be much faster than the Raptor. But the results depend on what is taking most of the time - CPU or disk activity?

In a few years we should be able to afford SSDs for our data as well as the OS, so this experiment will tell us what we can look forward to.

Interesting. Now could you try this experiment. Create a folder on the SSD and copy a bunch of photos to it. Now batch process them with NX2 on the SSD itself. Time it. Then copy them back to where they belong. This could be automated, if the time savings were worthwhile. The SSD will be much faster than the Raptor. But the results depend on what is taking most of the time - CPU or disk activity?

In a few years we should be able to afford SSDs for our data as well as the OS, so this experiment will tell us what we can look forward to.

Well, I tried it, and it confirmed what I had read elsewhere -- while SSD drives have blazingly fast READ speeds (which is why programs load and run faster), their WRITE speeds aren't as fast. The 'Raptor beat the SSD hands down. The 'Raptor averaged 5 seconds, the SSD averaged 11 seconds, and the standard HD 12 seconds.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom