1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Capture NX is killing me. What can I do to speed up my computer?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by KsJET, May 29, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Ugh, I can't take it anymore. I definitely prefer NX to ACR, but it's so sllllllooowww! My desktop is 2 years old, but I really can't justify buying a new one right now. I am using a Dell Dimension 3000, Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, 768 MB RAM. I read somewhere that NX works faster with .NET 2.0 so I installed that and deleted 1.1 to be sure it was using 2.0. That seemed to speed it up a bit, but not enough. I had 512 MB RAM and then bought another 512 yesterday, but discovered that I had two 256 sticks in there so I am only up 768 MB. Would buying another GB make a difference? I keep getting the virtual memory is running low error message. I have removed spyware, defrag'd the hard drives (I have two 7O GB on it now because the laptop is out for service so its hard drive is hooked up to the desktop), run disk cleanup, etc. What else can I do before buying more RAM?

2. More RAM, hell MUCH MORE RAM. I'd say pick up two 1 GB sticks at least. More if your system can support it.

Other than that, use task manager to see whats running in the background, what are you using to check for spyware?

3. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I agree. Your processor is plenty fast, but the RAM is killing you.

4. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    OK, I'll go pick up some more today. I figured that is what I'd need to do.

My system can support up to 2GB, so I might just return this 512 and get two 1 GB.

There is a ton running in the background, but I'm not sure what is OK to stop.

I am using Norton 360.

Thanks!

5. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Also, if you process multiple pics and plan on any type of batch processing, I suggest an external hard drive. Then change the settings - Batch > Options...

- Jay

6. more RAM?

Hmmm, I also thought that more RAM would speed up things. So I bought 1Gb more - currently I have 2Gb - and my processor is 3.02. I also bought a new Hard Disk of 320Gb just to store my final files. However, I keep finding NX slow whenever saving files (sometimes it takes 1 sec. or less and minutes later it takes 10/12sec.). I really don't understand what's going on. Furthermore, sometimes a weird error shows up (generally near the end of a given processing file) forcing me to close that file and loose the adjustments done. I hope that someday Nikon will issue a firmware fixing it.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Are you sure you have no virus, trojan or spyware on that machine
    Have you cleaned all th temp files etc.......
    Sure will slow you down

www.techguy.com
    Good site

Go to security forum.
    You will be suprised what is runnig around on the internet and your computer:>))
    Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  8. Yes Gale. I'm quite sure that the computer is clean. Besides the fact that an anti-virus is running, 2 month ago I was forced to format the HD owing a XP configuration problem and even now the problem remains the same.

9. If anyone has Norton antivirus or Norton system works, GET RID OF IT!!! It is definitely a resource hog. I also have an older computer with a P4 3.2. I bought two new HD's 250 gigs with 16mb cache and put them in a RAID 0 config. Then, put 2 1gig strips of RAM. Yes, I make an image of my system once a week on an external HD using Norton Ghost and have another external HD backing up MY pictures and catalog files from iView, and I noticed a speed up. This was all done to get me through till the first of next year when I will by a new computer. But, I am keeping my old one around and connecting the two with a KVM switch. I have the NX running ok, but I am sure it will run better with the new machine.

Best
    Nancy

10. Download Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy; both are freeware. Run updates on them and run them to see what spyware is running. I find that no single program catches everything. Also Spyware Blaster is another free program that prevents spyware from being installed.

When you look at task manager click on the memory column and see what is using up your memory. Also try increasing the size of your pagefile and running scandisk to identify any bad sectors of your hard drive.

11. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    "What else can I do before buying more RAM?"

First of all, if you're getting a VM warning, increasing the size of your page file will help. I'd suggest putting the NX temp file on another disk but it sounds like you don't have one permanently so just increase the size.

Getting rid of any Symantec product you have running is a great suggestion, they're memory hogs. I use AVG Anti-Virus (pay the $30/year and get the auto-update) and run the Windows firewall. I used to be a big ZoneAlarm fan but the program just kept getting bigger and bigger and taking up more resources so I finally dumped it. But I run on a hard-wired network behind a router/firewall unit so ZA was kind of redundant. Ad-Aware and Spybot are my favorites when it comes to getting rid of junk.

Speaking of cleaning up junk, are you keeping your Windows\Prefetch folder cleaned out? A lot of files in this folder can slow a system down dramatically. I made a shortcut to mine and put it on the Desktop so I can delete all the files in it regularly.

And I run CCleaner and RegRepair frequently to keep excess clutter out of the Registry. CCleaner is freeware, I can't remember if RegRepair is freeware or shareware, but they both do a good job of cleaning the registry and neither has ever caused me a problem. I run both since either one seems to leave stuff the other picks up on.

But adding RAM, up to 2Gb if you can afford it, will help the most. I did some NX testing with my Core2 Duo system on a D200 .NEF file and never saw RAM usage go much over 1Gb, but some operations pegged both processors, especially noise reduction. If you keep more than one file open in NX memory usage goes up. If your system is 2 years old, you're probably running DDR RAM so upgrading is expensive unless you can pick up some on eBay.

I went much the same route you're going now and finally bit the bullet and just built a new system. I had an Athlon XP 3200+ on a top-line(2004) Asus board with 1Gb of Corsair Dominator DDR400 memory and it was all pretty much junk 2 years after I built it. Very comparable to your system except for the memory. Working in NX was a fairly miserable experience.:Crunk: Doing the speed test on this thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=91981, I could get 2:32 with the Athlon on the 8-bit 240 ppi file. I get 0:49 now with the new E6600 system, a little better if I overclock. I spent almost half the price of my Core2 Duo 6600 processor to upgrade my Athlon 2800 to the 3200 version 2 months ago and was looking at another $150 or so to add another 1Gb of DDR RAM. I had been putting it off since it was starting to look like a case of throwing good money after bad. (Un)fortunately, :wink: the wife's computer died so I decided it was finally time to upgrade.

We live in an age where the useful lifespan of a "slightly less than bleeding edge" (i.e. barely affordable) computer is about 2 years, unless you want to stick with the software that was available when you bought it. Trying to run 2006 software on a 2004 system is going to be painful. As you're finding out.

Now I'm just hoping the new system will last 2 years but I'm reading DDR3 RAM will be released this year and of course it's not compatible with DDR2....:mad: 

I may sell my D200 and go back to film......

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. When you're ready to buy a new computer, look at a Mac! :biggrin:

For right now: yes, for heaven's sake, add as much RAM as your motherboard will tolerate.

13. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Honestly I don't think you should spend too much money on RAMs. DDR is phasing out and they won't be useful with new systems. I think DDR now is much more expensive than DDR2. so I think its better for you to save the money for a full upgrade. If you insist, another stick of 512M would probably be a better idea.

P4 2.8 is just too slow for NX.

For your reference, I've just built a system for my son about 2 months' ago, with an Intel Core2 Duo E6600, 2G of Adata DDR2800, etc and it cost around $900. It beats my 2 years' old AMD FX55 system (the CPU alone cost more than $900) by a big big margin! I am waiting until July 22 when Intel cuts its price again to get myself a Core2 Quad. Since I'll be able to use my current power supply, case, hardsisk, DVD writers etc it will only cost me around $500-600, and the Q6600, just like Core2 Duos, can be overclocked easily to 3.2-3.5G!

I like Apples too, but they don't give me the freedom of choosing my components and I can't upgrade the system bit by bit. So its not my cup of tea, maybe it is for people that can sacrifice freedom of choice for convinience (and of course they cost $$ more!)

14. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    use msconfig disable all startup items then go to services hide all Microsoft services then disable all apply close then restart now test the pc is it faster

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.