Capture NX Raw file size issue

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by rubbub, May 21, 2007.

1. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    I just tried out Capture NX 1.1 and find a problem with raw file saving.

1. Open the raw file in Capture NX; the original size is around 15M;
    2. Adjusted the white balance with gray point and save; the size changed to 18M;

If I do the same in Nikon Capture, the size will not change. Is there anything wrong here?

Also also it looks like after saving the raw in NX 1.1, the raw was altered and blown-highlight will be different from the original one.

From Nikon Capture NX manual page 27:
    NEF format images remain nearly the same size as the original image file, regardless of the number of enhancements that are applied within the image.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  2. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    That's about right. I think any changes increase file size.

3. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I believe that most if not all of the file size change occurs because NX saves a bigger, probably higher quality, jpeg within the NEF file that reflects the saved changes. It is a just a waste of space in my opinion. However, I have never noticed any changes to the original raw data. Are you starting with a compressed raw file?

4. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    gvk, thanks for your reply. The file is uncompressed raw and you are right it's annoying to save jpeg in the original raw. I just don't feel comfortable for changing my raw files.

5. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    The RAW file is untouched, but NX creates a new embedded preview JPEG that is higher quality than the one your camera produces. That's why the file size increases. You can get around this by creating a size/resolution step as the very last step in your Edit List, make the image small (like 800x600 pixels), and then save it. The saved file will embed a JPEG based on the NX edits, so it will be smaller. When you return to your NEF, you simply delete the size/resolution Edit Step and the image returns to full size.

-Jason