1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Capture NX2 Mac vs PC

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by larryk, Aug 2, 2009.

1. larryk

larryk

Sep 6, 2005
    Edmonton
    I have a desktop PC running Vista and use Capture NX2 (latest version) to edit my NEFs. I also have a MacBook Pro with the Mac version of Capture NX2 (latest version). I use Nikon Transfer to move my NEFs from the camera to the PC. The two machines are networked and I can open JPEG files on my Mac that are located on the PC's hard-drive.

I have a problem opening newer NEF files that are located on my PC with any of my Mac applications (including the Mac versions on Capture NX2 and Nikon View). I get a message "unsupported file type". I can open older NEFs that were transferred from my CF card to the PC when I was running older versions of Nikon Transfer.

Any idea what the problem is?

2. The standard answer someone would give you on a Mac is to select the nef and then do a command i to get info. You can save the default to open it with NX2. It might be set to something else.

Having said that, I have nef to open in NX2 but sometimes when I double-click on a nef, it opens PS3, which has a version of Camera Raw which doesn't work with nefs from newer Nikons. I then get the same message you do.

I find it easier to drag the nef to the icon of nx2 in my dock.

3. I'll chime in with an unsolicited recommendation- if you haven't yet, try RPP (Raw Photo Processor) as a raw converter- set white balance to "as shot," ADHD as the type to save as, film gamma and uncheck the luminance smoothing stuff.

It's the best raw converter outside of NX, and the film gamma curve produces excellent results. Basic program is free, and a donation of any size gets an unlock code for the few extra features that exist. It's Mac-only.

Paul

4. When you Command-I, you can change the default behavior for the .NEF filetype with the 'Open with' drop down and "Change All" if you want to set it to default to NX.

Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.