Capture One neophyte looking for information sources

I have been an Adobe user since Thomas and John Knoll started with Photoshop and latterly Lightroom. Overall very happy with the products including the latest offerings with the subscription models. Up to date, I have used both applications to process Nikon and Pentax MF files.

Now that I am changing systems to Fuji MF and having heard that Adobe raw is not the best at handling these files (at least the X Tran not sure about others!) I have decided that now is the time to look at alternatives for raw editing Fuji files. To this end, I have downloaded the free version of Capture One Express Fujifilm. I am awaiting delivery of the camera - hopefully in the next couple of weeks, so I do not have any raw files to play with other than a couple of downloads from the web.

What I am looking for are good resources for learning C1. Also if I do decide to make the jump any recommendations on a C1 reference book such as Martin Evenings Lightroom volumes?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

No shortage on tutorials and/or webinars.
Luckily :)

Some of the tutorials are even specifically aimed at people coming from Adobe.

PS there's user guide as well
And if I'm not mistaken, I believe @Walter offers some tutorials as well?
Thanks Bart,
Feel a bit dumb now as I had not checked on the website :-(.

I don’t mind tutorials and at least they can keep up to date with new features but I also like to have an in depth reference hard copy available as well

Interesting. Which camera and lenses are you buying?
I have ordered a Fuji GFX 100s and the well regarded Fuji GF 45mm prime as a starting point, having traded in my 645z of which I was a little sad to let go. Most of my Pentax 645 gear is gone and going but I do have a couple of lenses for which I will buy a Pentax to Fuji G adapter if they do not sell.

Next lens will be either the 32 - 64mm or the 45- 100mm or even another prime e.g. 110mm

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have ordered a Fuji GFX 100s and the well regarded Fuji GF 45mm prime as a starting point, having traded in my 645z of which I was a little sad to let go. Most of my Pentax 645 gear is gone and going but I do have a couple of lenses for which I will buy a Pentax to Fuji G adapter if they do not sell.

Next lens will be either the 32 - 64mm or the 45- 100mm or even another prime e.g. 110mm
Sounds amazing. I look forward to seeing some photos.

CaptureOne frequently does webinars and they are very good, showing techniques using the latest version of the tool. I think if you just sign up for their emails, they'll send you notices.

Every Thursday at 9:00 AM CST Paul Reiffer hosts an editing program on YouTube of about one hour working on 3 or 4 images where he details the Capture One software working on the photos his followers submit and rarely on one of his own. Many in the group send in photos they have processed and some are excellent, but many can still be improved and Paul talks about the why's and therefore of the improvements he makes. Some images are unprocessed RAWS and he takes the audience all through the processing steps to maximize the shot to it best YMMV. He also reviews the details of the processing steps with detailed instructions and cautions about too excesses and pitfalls.

After years in the Adobe camp I found Paul's explanations exceedingly clear and after going through all of his sessions on YouTube I found it super easy to take an image from RAW to printable product with only an occasional review of the appropriate weekly session. What I find most memorable is that Paul tells you clearly what a tool does, where you can abuse it but most importantly how to use the multitude of available tools work together. I signed up for the full PRO version but that was before the camera branded versions came out.

Nils Wille Christoffersen This man writes "Photographer's guide to Capture One 21" (all 560-ish pages) and it is downloadable PDF for a small fee. As C1 grows, Nils updates are issued in a timely manner. I do not know if he is a C1 employee or not. Forget Amazon

Last edited:
I have some helpful videos on Capture One on my YouTube channel.

https://youtube.com/c/WalterRowePhotography

I also offer one-on-one assistance. I am very familiar with migrating from Apple Aperture and Adobe Lightroom. Let me know if you need some help.

I am a Capture One Affiliate.
Excellent info thanks, I will check out your YouTube channel. In the distant past had toyed with C1 and while I knew it to be very capable but I could not see any compelling reason to change.

When I had my Pentax C1 refused to accept files without disguising the camera in Exif!

Now with Fuji seemingly buying into C1 I feel that there is a possibility that the raw conversion could be better than Adobe. In any case it would be foolish not to give it a try and I have already downloaded the free to use express version to evaluate.

Obviously there are major differences in workflow from LR, so I am going to try and follow my own advice and learn to use the application in the manner that the designers intended rather than try to make it LR like.

Every Thursday at 9:00 AM CST Paul Reiffer hosts an editing program on YouTube of about one hour working on 3 or 4 images where he details the Capture One software working on the photos his followers submit and rarely on one of his own. Many in the group send in photos they have processed and some are excellent, but many can still be improved and Paul talks about the why's and therefore of the improvements he makes. Some images are unprocessed RAWS and he takes the audience all through the processing steps to maximize the shot to it best YMMV. He also reviews the details of the processing steps with detailed instructions and cautions about too excesses and pitfalls.

After years in the Adobe camp I found Paul's explanations exceedingly clear and after going through all of his sessions on YouTube I found it super easy to take an image from RAW to printable product with only an occasional review of the appropriate weekly session. What I find most memorable is that Paul tells you clearly what a tool does, where you can abuse it but most importantly how to use the multitude of available tools work together. I signed up for the full PRO version but that was before the camera branded versions came out.

Nils Wille Christoffersen This man writes "Photographer's guide to Capture One 21" (all 560-ish pages) and it is downloadable PDF for a small fee. As C1 grows, Nils updates are issued in a timely manner. I do not know if he is a C1 employee or not. Forget Amazon
Great information thank you. I will check out Paul’s channel. I will definitely look at the pdf guide as a source of reference

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Here is the link to Nils' book. He's a terrific writer and the book is very thorough. In the forward to the book he discloses that the book was a personal project that he started BEFORE he became a Capture One test engineer. He knows the product inside out and does an excellent job of explaining all of the features of every tool.

https://rawcaptureguide.com/ebook/

Thanks guys for the link to Nils' book! Have just downloaded the pdf :). That with all the video tutorials should get me up to speed and get the brain cells excercised

There is another photographer who posts tutorials on YouTube. Her name is KASIA ZMOKLA. She speaks in English with a heavy accent. It may take you several episodes to get used to her accent and cadence. She excels in portrait work and is a wizard with color work and shares lots of her “tricks”.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom