Capture One Pro 11 – Layers, Layers, Layers!!!

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by Walter, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    PhaseOne released Capture One Pro 11 today. This is a massive upgrade.
    • Color Balance and Levels now work as a local adjustments.
    • Local adjustments are now simply “Layers”.
    • Layers now have master opacity adjustment.
    • Styles and presets can now be applied to layers.
    • Masking is improved with new Refine Edge and Edge Feather tools.
    • Performance is massively improved, especially for large catalogs.
    • Annotations can be applied and shared with retouchers.
    • Crops and watermarks can be exported to PSD files as layers / paths.
    Capture One Pro 11 All The New Features Overview

2. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Sounds impressive ... along with the eye watering annual upgrade tax!
    The layers approach seems similar to the tack taken by MacPhun Luminar which I think really works very well.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Sounds like it is getting close to PS capabilities! If I were to change from PS CC today, this is the s/w I'd demo first!

4. I'm a bit concerned over losing Raw edits in my LR catalog

5. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    I'll be very careful about switching to CaptureOne. While it is a very capable program indeed, it is also an extremely expensive proposition for a non commercial shooter.

New versions are released every year in late November to December and support for the previous one basically dropped immediately. US $120 to upgrade from the previous version to this one this time. Up from US $99 last year when I was trialling it. Heaven knows what the annual upgrade tax will be next time around. This is in addition to a US $300 admission fee for new users.

I personally don't use LR but can't see a compelling draw for an existing LR user cost wise. Perhaps a bi-annual upgrade cycle ... as long as you don't need any major OS upgrades in the second year as PhaseOne will not update the previous version to support such.

If you are going to buy into it, make sure it is before March of any year, since as sure as night turns into day, a new version will be released a few months later and support for the version you have will be unceremoniously dropped.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  6. In the forum I daily follow devoted to the use of my cataloging software, users of CaptureOne have been reporting for years that the software plays havoc with certain parts of the XMP metadata and that the developer of CaptureOne has been unresponsive to the issue. By comparison, I don't remember anyone ever continually complaining about interoperability with any other software despite that I've been following that forum for nearly ten years.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. I have not found a practical way to migrate edits between the two. But typically I find that when I revisit an image I will re-process it. My both my editing skills and the tools are better.

I keeps everything cataloged in Lightroom and recently started using Capture One for processing everything while Adobe gets Lightroom's performance issues sorted. It's better but not "there yet". Previously I only used Capture One for my critical work. Capture One's catalog keeps getting better, but is not as fully featured as that of Lightroom.

8. This site has a good overview of the Capture One 11 features and contains a 10% discount code.

Capture One Pro 11 All The New Features Overview

So my upgrade was $107 up from $99 previously. The discount applies both to the upgrade and full version.

9. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Indeed. I finally settled on CaptureOne as my replacement for NX2 and am still digesting the initial buyin. I'm not getting any new cameras so will probably limp along with 10 for a while.

10. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Despite all I wrote, I must say the quality of the output from CaptureOne is absolutely tops.
    Easily the best option for quality output IMO once one is clear about the expense involved.

11. Did you keep two separate copies of the images so that edits don't get confused?

12. That is not necessary. I import all images into a folder in Lightroom. I also import (from the same folder) any of those I want to process in C1 into my Capture One catalog. Both catalogs co-exist happily and there is no file duplication.

13. If you open it in LR, do you see the edits made in Capture 1

14. No - the two catalogs are separate and the edits in one do not show in the other. Basically all the edits are stored in each application's catalog and then applied when the RAW file is opened in that application. So I see the Lightroom edits when I open the image in Lightroom, and Capture One edits when I open the same image in Capture One.

15. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    No two software tools have compatible edits except Lightroom and Photoshop. No way around that. I would not recommend moving a catalog of Lightroom images to Capture One. I would leave the archive in LR which will continue to allow exports even if you stop paying for it. I would only use Capture One for new work. I speak from experience having fully re-edited some 58,000 images over two years in Capture One that had been originally processed Lightroom or Apple Aperture.

16. Thanks, Walter.
    So the edits in the LR sidecar files stored with the original file are stored in the Capture catalog.

Do you think the $300 for a perpetual Capture License will actually be honored in perpetuity.
    It doesn't seem like a good model.
    Generates more cash up front but ......

17. You do own Capture 1 v11 forever, but you must pay for newer versions when they are released.

18. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Yes, if you purchase the perpetual license it should work indefinitely. Major version updates will cost. Minor version updates will be free. I use the subscription model so I get all updates much like an Adobe subscription.