Capture One Pro 6 - is it worth it?

Is anyone using Capture One Pro 6 (the latest version from Phase One)?

I'm wondering if it's worth buying to use alongside Capture NX2 - especially as there's a 30% discount available for the next few days.

A list of features is shown here http://www.phaseone.com/comparison - keystone correction being one of the most useful. Tethered shooting is also included.

Any thoughts?

I absolutely love it.
When dealing with one or two photos, NX2 will be more than enough. However when you get into editing a lot of photos, this software is simply amazing.
It has great image quality,speed and ease of use (once you get used to it).
Feedback to changes is instantaneous. One really sweet feature is the ability to save the files in different sizes and formats simultaneously.

The only big issue I have with it is the auto white balance is all over the place and always wrong, however white balance using a white sample seems to be spot on.

Also, one has to keep an eye the multiple variants selection. A simple "undue" can revert all your work back to zero.

One more thing, they may still offer a deal on Expression Media package. This is decent management software. It needs an upgrade but works.

What do you think of Pro 6's keystone correction?

My my main reason for buying Pro 6 would be the keystone facility but it's a lot of money to pay for one feature (I'd probably stick to NX2 for everything else).

It seems to work really well. Seems that its pretty simple to use. You just need to remember to shoot wide so you don't lose some of your subject when it crops.
I do believe that once you start using it, and get used to its interface, it will be your goto software as well.

I use Capture One Pro 6 for my Phase One digital back files. I truly find it to be the very best raw processor that I have ever used. It is very complete and has some tools that are particularly useful for my Phase One files (ex.: skin tone correction).
I have used it for a while now and I still discover things.

That said, I have been a very happy user of Nikon Capture - especially since the NX generation. For my Nikon images (D700 NEF's) I keep using Capture NX2. I am used to it and some previous tests I did showed the best results with NEF files.

Also, FWIW: For users of Phase One digital backs, Capture One Pro 6 is free. It provides the full Pro capabilities, but (of course) only for Phase One RAW files.
Being a long time Nikon user, I was not used to this kind of gesture from a manufacturer :tongue: - NICE!

Tethering

Frits,

Does tethering work for Nikon cameras or just for the Phase One family? Thanks.

Frits,

Does tethering work for Nikon cameras or just for the Phase One family? Thanks.
I could not tell you from experience Don, since I can only use my version with my Phase One RAW files (free).
That said, I think the Pro version does provide tethering for Nikon (and some others).

Also, FWIW: For users of Phase One digital backs, Capture One Pro 6 is free. It provides the full Pro capabilities, but (of course) only for Phase One RAW files.

Close but no cigar for Phase One! Hasselblad understands how it works: their raw editing software can handle any raw file. The reasoning behind this is that (paraphrased) "we want our customer to use our software. Most users will stick to a single tool and that will not ours if it only supports our camera"

I don't see why CO6 should be limited to Phase One backs when you get it with the back. It's not like people will buy those $15,000 backs in order to get CO for free.

Disclosure: happy and semi-loyal CO user. Tried out LR for about six months and got so frustrated with it that I'm now happy to be back with CO6.

Close but no cigar for Phase One! Hasselblad understands how it works: their raw editing software can handle any raw file. The reasoning behind this is that (paraphrased) "we want our customer to use our software. Most users will stick to a single tool and that will not ours if it only supports our camera"

I don't see why CO6 should be limited to Phase One backs when you get it with the back. It's not like people will buy those $15,000 backs in order to get CO for free.

Disclosure: happy and semi-loyal CO user. Tried out LR for about six months and got so frustrated with it that I'm now happy to be back with CO6.
Well, let's get the facts here:

Capture One is a commercial product of Phase One aimed at digital photographers at large.
For Phase One back owners: download the software and run the "DB" version. Simple as that, no registration required. This will then give you the full Pro capabilities but will only work with Phase One DB RAW files.

Hasselblad Phocus is not a commercial product (please correct me if I am wrong).

The important thing for me: when shooting with my Hasselblad with either a Hasselblad or a Phase One back, I get great RAW software for free (never got that from Nikon :wink:.

Not to say who is right or wrong here, just that it is not apples to apples.

One of the best comparisons of COne with other raw converter can be found here: Capture One Review on nikonians

Yes I'd seen that one before Tom. He doesn't say much about how Pro 6 compares to NX2 - that's what I'm really interested in. For instance, I've tried Photoshop CS5 (starting with NEF files) and the results aren't as good as NX2. I don't want to splash out on Pro 6 only to find the same thing happens.

Yes I'd seen that one before Tom. He doesn't say much about how Pro 6 compares to NX2 - that's what I'm really interested in. For instance, I've tried Photoshop CS5 (starting with NEF files) and the results aren't as good as NX2. I don't want to splash out on Pro 6 only to find the same thing happens.
FWIW: I found the exact same thing: definitely better results with NX2 vs. PS CS5 with my NEF's.
Never tried CS5 with my Phase One RAW files, since I like Capture One a lot.

There is a trial version with all the capabilities.

As far as CS5, It gets used in special circumstances such as:
Removal of unwanted objects (nothing can touch CS5 that i'm aware of)
HDR
Black and white conversion using the Nik Silver Efex plugin.
L.A.B. although it hasn't gotten any use as of late.

There is a trial version with all the capabilities.

As far as CS5, It gets used in special circumstances such as:
Removal of unwanted objects (nothing can touch CS5 that i'm aware of)
HDR
Black and white conversion using the Nik Silver Efex plugin.
L.A.B. although it hasn't gotten any use as of late.

Have you compared the keystoning facility of Pro 6 and CS5?

I use CO6 and love it. The IQ is outstanding, better than I can achieve with other RAW converters, and I love the new tools for lens correction, keystone (perspective correction etc) and for spot adjustments etc.

Have you compared the keystoning facility of Pro 6 and CS5?
I am ashamed to say I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it.

Sooooooo. I did a quick comparison.
At the risk of sounding like a C1 fanboy, I thought the C1 was a lot easier to use. It was also a lot faster.
This shot was taken with a Nikon 24-70. Both photos were adjusted manually.
This was only to compare perspective control of the different softwares, so the exposure and colors will be different and not very good to be quite honest.
The first is C1
p1016849818-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the second is Photoshop CS5
p906041762-4.jpg

Now I am the first to admit my photoshop skills are amateur at best, but it looks to me that C1 just did it better without much fuss.

I am ashamed to say I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it.

Sooooooo. I did a quick comparison.
At the risk of sounding like a C1 fanboy, I thought the C1 was a lot easier to use. It was also a lot faster.
This shot was taken with a Nikon 24-70. Both photos were adjusted manually.
This was only to compare perspective control of the different softwares, so the exposure and colors will be different and not very good to be quite honest.
The first is C1
http://paintboxphotography.com/img/s3/v25/p1016849818-4.jpg

and the second is Photoshop CS5
http://paintboxphotography.com/img/s3/v23/p906041762-4.jpg

Now I am the first to admit my photoshop skills are amateur at best, but it looks to me that C1 just did it better without much fuss.

The C1 version looks sharper to me - and more 'correct' vertical-wise.

PS. I downloaded the trial of C1 but can't figure out how to save an edited image - brain not working! :rolleyes:

Go to the tab that looks like a gear, within that window there will be two sections. One is called "Process Recipe" and one called "output naming".
Just populate the fields with whatever you intend to do, hit "process" at the bottom and it'll do it.

Here's the final version. The original wasn't very good exposure wise. This was all done with C1.
I think NX2 would have done a little better with the skies but it'll do for quick photo editing.
BTW.
It was shot 14Bit Raw
Nikon D3
24-70 2.8 Nikon Lens

p564275152-4.jpg

And its really not fair to do comparisons without a before photo. This is the Raw file converted with no corrections whatsoever:

p85328647-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom