Capture One will not provide Mac M1 support for v20

After corresponding with C1 about if/when they will provide an update for C1 20 to allow use on my new MacBook Pro, I received a reply that they will not be doing that and that I should update to C1 21 if I want to continue using C1. It does not work on the M1 computers, freezing at the closing of the app. And even C1 21 does not yet support the M1 computers, after all it has only been, what, six months since they were introduced?

I have purchased every update going back to V 6 or 7, decided this time to skip a version as I didn't see much of significance in the new version. Now, six months after the new version 21 was launched, it is useless. And it is not capable of being used with Rosetta II emulation.

I wouldn't expect C1 to provide any new feature updates from v21, just a usability feature. I've been using it in "light" mode while continuing with Lightroom as primary image processor. I have no intention of "relying" on a software application which behaves like C1, so bidding farewell to C1. Several other image processing-related apps have handled this smoothly, C1 has not.

Anyone contemplating using C1 should consider that it really is a subscription model you must purchase every time, and at a much greater cost than LR/PS which I see so many complaints about. The reality is that LR/PS is much more consumer-friendly and wallet-friendly than C1.

Capture one is $14-19 a month, adobe is roughly $10. I have both, which sets me back $30. Most spend more than that on coffee.
With these new models, I never expect support on the older versions. I don't think that only capture one does that, adobe etc have the same issues.
gary

I don't know why, but I was thinking about this issue this morning.
C1 does have a permanent license model and it works fine.
As expected, the version purchased does not support any further updates. If you update your camera, or in this case your computer, to a new model that was not supported by your version of the software there will be no updates to accommodate that. But- it you don't change anything, unlike a subscription model, it will keep working forever.
We still have choices.
gary

I had never thought about computers before, or at least new ones. I know support gets dropped for old ones. I had thought of switching to a perpetual license for the Sony version but I will have to rethink as I know a M1 is in my future.

After corresponding with C1 about if/when they will provide an update for C1 20 to allow use on my new MacBook Pro, I received a reply that they will not be doing that and that I should update to C1 21 if I want to continue using C1. It does not work on the M1 computers, freezing at the closing of the app. And even C1 21 does not yet support the M1 computers, after all it has only been, what, six months since they were introduced?

I have purchased every update going back to V 6 or 7, decided this time to skip a version as I didn't see much of significance in the new version. Now, six months after the new version 21 was launched, it is useless. And it is not capable of being used with Rosetta II emulation.

I wouldn't expect C1 to provide any new feature updates from v21, just a usability feature. I've been using it in "light" mode while continuing with Lightroom as primary image processor. I have no intention of "relying" on a software application which behaves like C1, so bidding farewell to C1. Several other image processing-related apps have handled this smoothly, C1 has not.

Anyone contemplating using C1 should consider that it really is a subscription model you must purchase every time, and at a much greater cost than LR/PS which I see so many complaints about. The reality is that LR/PS is much more consumer-friendly and wallet-friendly than C1.
I understand your frustration.
I had the same feeling when datacolor refused to update the software for the 'older" Spyders to 64bit.
This blocked the upgrade path for macOS.
At first, I decided I wouldn't upgrade to a higher model from datacolor. After doing some comparisons, I bought the Spyder X anyway. With a discount offered because of their failure to upgrade their software to 64bit.

As for the renting versus perpetual licence model of C1, It's still cheaper to buy all the upgrades than to rent. Especially since there's always a discount to be found somewhere when there's a new release.
And I do drink coffee ;)

I don't know why, but I was thinking about this issue this morning.
C1 does have a permanent license model and it works fine.
As expected, the version purchased does not support any further updates. If you update your camera, or in this case your computer, to a new model that was not supported by your version of the software there will be no updates to accommodate that. But- it you don't change anything, unlike a subscription model, it will keep working forever.
We still have choices.
gary
It may not be patched for security hacks.

Real Name
Walter Rowe

Capture One is not a mandatory subscription model. You choose whether to pay for a perpetual license + major version upgrades, or the subscription which insures you are always able to upgrade at your leisure.

You also choose what hardware platform you run on - Intel vs M1. I acknowledge that at some point M1 will be the only choice for Apple users. Today you can still purchase the Intel models. Purchasing a hardware platform before your software is supported also is a choice you make regarding taking a risk.

Capture One stated before CO 21 was released that CO 20 would not be ported to an Apple M1 ARM native binary. Porting to the Apple M1 ARM will be a significant lift for Capture One. They announced earlier this week that M1 support will arrive in late May around the time the M1 iMac ships from Apple.

Capture One committed to releasing Capture One 21 as a native M1 binary. They did delay their release. If I recall correctly they initially committed to early spring. They will release late spring.

To be fair, we have no idea what Capture One has to do to port to the M1 chip. They also still use OpenCL for hardware acceleration. Maybe they are finally porting over to METAL for hardware acceleration too. Many of us have begged for this for some time. That alone could take a significant effort and require a lot of testing. We all will know when it comes late May.

Last edited:

I bought it and own it they said. I don't own it if it will not work on new Mac mini M1 so it is useless. I did try 21 and it is harder to use with a bunch of auto stuff I neither need or want. Two hours in I uninstalled the trial.

With my older Mac Pro I spent hours setting up special workflows for Nikon and Leica. Did an update and they were wiped out.

Back to Adobe and Nikon NX D which is a really good program. Leica works on it if I convert to TIFF.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I bought it and own it they said. I don't own it if it will not work on new Mac mini M1 so it is useless. I did try 21 and it is harder to use with a bunch of auto stuff I neither need or want. Two hours in I uninstalled the trial.

With my older Mac Pro I spent hours setting up special workflows for Nikon and Leica. Did an update and they were wiped out.

Back to Adobe and Nikon NX D which is a really good program. Leica works on it if I convert to TIFF.
It is unrealistic to expect a given version of an application to work on a new hardware platform. It is also unrealistic to expect vendors to port prior versions of software to new hardware platforms. Apple still sells and supports the Intel platform and CO 20 supports macOS Big Sur.

I chose the subscription model because I could always maintain currency, and because it flattened and amortized my expenses. I know every month to budget for $15 for Capture One. I don't have annual or bi-annual expense bumps for upgrades.

Are you sure you owned it?
Most likely you were granted a perpetual licence.
:)

We purchase a license, we don’t own it.

I didn't take the time to read the article, but when was the last time you purchased anything that you didn't own it? The answer: never. If I purchase a license, I along with everyone else that purchased it owns the license and, thus, own the rights accorded by the terms of that license.

Last edited:
I didn't take the time to read the article, but when was the last time you purchased anything that you didn't own it? The answer: never. If I purchase a license, I along with everyone else that purchased it owns the license and, thus, own the rights to the benefits accorded by the terms of that license.
I know it is a bit technical and challenging.
Purchasing simply means obtaining something by the means of exchanging money. It does not imply ownership.

Here is an example, it happens more than we may think, especially with services and intangibles.

I parted with money in exchange for the use of a car.
At no point did I own anything.
It is a shame you did not read the article. It explains it better than I can as far as software is concerned.

By definition purchasing a license means not owning it.
Ownership has three components, usus, abusus and fructus.
A licence grants limited rights of the first and the last but not the second.
Ever.

It is a shame you did not read the article.

I have now read the article. It's poorly written and even refers several times to purchasing software, which the article is attempting to explain why that actually isn't what's happening. Moreover, if the person that wrote that article is a lawyer, her bio would probably mention it. It doesn't, so I assume she's not a lawyer. I'm also not a lawyer. If you're a lawyer, it would have been helpful if you had explained that.

Continuing this discussion won't benefit you, me or anyone following the thread, so I'll back out of it now.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
By definition purchasing a license means not owning it.
Ownership has three components, usus, abusus and fructus.
A licence grants limited rights of the first and the last but not the second.
Ever.
I think the confusion is what the "it" is. I suspect that what Mike was getting at was that you can buy and own a license that lets you use software that you don't own.

On the original issue it does not seem fair to blame C1. One might as well blame Apple for changing their technology, or blame oneself for buying a new computer that won't run the software.

I think the confusion is what the "it" is. I suspect that what Mike was getting at was that you can buy and own a license that lets you use software that you don't own.

On the original issue it does not seem fair to blame C1. One might as well blame Apple for changing their technology, or blame oneself for buying a new computer that won't run the software.
Or one could blame humankind for evolving beyond Neanderthal, for discovering fire and inventing the wheel. Oh, the good old days! :ROFLMAO::eek::rolleyes:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom