capture speed up ques

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by wembley, Apr 25, 2007.

1. wembley

wembley

Mar 26, 2006
    Naples, Fl
    Although this is not really a NEW raw processor ques, I figured my best hope for an answer is here.

I have read in the past that a speed up for capture is to have the files cache (temporary files?) to a 2nd HD. I have a 2nd HD on the network, can I set up capture 4.4.2 to cache to the network HD? if so how? In options I see you can choose the location of the temporary files, is that how I do it?

Thanks in advance from a non-tekkie.

Wembley

2. A network drive is going to have significantly slower throughput so I don't see how it could speed up Capture. Now if you would put a 10000 rpm Raptor SATA drive on your machine that would. I use a gigabyte network and can transfer over 50 gb worth of files in 21 minues, It still doesn't beat an on-board hard drive though.

Rich

3. wembley

wembley

Mar 26, 2006
    Naples, Fl
    OK I figured that it would be beneficial from an internal HD or a partition.
    Thanks for the quick response. Good job for those small D2H files as its not too bad as it is.

wembley

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Wembley,

Just be careful that you are using another physical HD - using another partition of a drive could be worse. If you have a HD partitioned into two logical HDs and sperate your files on the two logical drives, you are not obtaining what you are looking for - if you are looking to obtain speed by seperating files across HDs, they need to be physically different HDs.

Rich bragged about his 10K Raptor too much that I ended up buying one and it does help. I also buy HDs that have 16MB buffer.

5. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I got a noticeable increase in NX and PSE speed by setting up the Raptor as the temp drive.

But it's not the same drive I keep the programs or data on.

Network drives are going to be 'way slower.

Bill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.