Capture vs Bibble

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Elf_8, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Hi,

May I ask if anyone here has some experience using Bibble as compared with Nikon Capture. If I have NC, is Bibble a step ahead, or just about the same ?
    Thanks,

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Bibble is light years ahead in terms of processing speeds. Gone is the glacial response of NC. Bibble has very versatile and powerful batch processing which really is the heart of the program, while NC has rudimentary capacity for this everyday task. The d-Lighting feature of NC is pathetic compared to the Fill-In Light of Bibble 4.4. Colours in Bibble are very exact for D2X, at least as good as in NC, sometimes better. For other cameras Bibble may be slightly more vivid and NC a wee bit more accurate as far as colour rendition is concerned. In terms of image sharpness, these programs are neck and neck, some times one is better than the other, next time the opposite. We are talking nitpicking details here, however, so for any practical purpose there isn't a difference. Bibble is demanding of the CPU since it must support certain features in order for the program to run, while NC is more relaxed in this respect. However, NC strikes back later with an unsatiable appetite for CPU and memory resources, whilst Bibble manages to thrive on 1/3 to 1/2 of what NC needs.

Both programs have a GUI which takes time to get accustomed to and Bibble may be a little harder to get the grasp of, partly because the GUI ties so closely into the batch workflow. When you understand the rationale of the GUI it becomes second nature though.

They have both had their fair share of installation issues, but in the latest versions (NC 4.3.2, BibblePro 4.4b) they behave nicely on my machines. And of course, Bibble is the only one of them running natively on Linux, with further speed gains involved.

My main use of NC is for remote camera control, in which it is the better option by far. For some very difficult images it might give better results than Bibble, or I have to use Capture One for the occasion (not a program I like much, but it does provide the better image quality once in a while). Otherwise, my everyday workflow is heavily based on Bibble (Windows, Linux).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  3. Many thanks Björn for this informative comment.
    Although I almost never work in a batch mode, I will at least give it a try by installing the trial version. What attracts me more than anything is the ability to deal with highlights and shadow recovery. Regaining a smooth DR is still what I am looking for.

4. Christian, Listen to Bjorn, he's right. I have been testing Bibble, NC4, C1 and ACR and my conclusion is Bibble is the way to go. I like NC4, but it is way to slow on a Mac to make it useful. I never liked the interface with C-1 and ACR doesn't have the features of Bibble. I now use Bibble most of the time and ACR if I'm in a hurry and if the image doesn't require much work (as in snapshots). Good luck.

5. Does anyone know if Bibble captures the in-camera settings on a D70?

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Greg,

Bibble displays IPTC/EXIF metadata info for all supported camera models. The D70 is supported.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

One of the real goodies about Bibble is that you do editing on small previews, and you can very rapidly edit a large number of images. The edits are not carried out directly on the underlying full raw file, just simulated on the preview, and the edit commands are saved in s small settings file which travels along with the raw file itself. Anytime you are satisfied with the editing task, just drag the "prepared" and selected files into the appropriate batch queue, then go on doing something else on your PC/Mac while the batch runs in the background.

When you get used to this kind of workflow you will never look back. Any file can be treated individually, so you won't lose anything, just get a tremendous gain in editing and processing speed. Nothing like NC's slow "Open File", "Edit File", Save File", wait while file is being saved, then "Open File", ...... You can break off at any point during the editing and the files you have tagged for later processing will be remembered next time. Batching is the very heart of Bibble's approach and I cannot manage without this powerful tool for my workflow.

8. Thanks for the info, Cory. Let me ask a little differently though. I use a custom curve and make some image adjustments in camera. I use these as starting points for my editing. NC4 displays my nef with all in camera adjustments. What this means to me is that I don't have to change sharpening, contrast, etc. It also means that if I get the white balance correct, I don't need to change it either. Does Bibble do that, or is it like Raw Shooter Essentials where I have to make the corrections to everything and my in camera settings are ignored?

Thanks again.

9. For what I can see for now, after just installing Bibble, is that the in-camera custom curve that I used is maintained within the options, as is the white balance. As for the EV compensation, I think it is taken into account but not shown.

10. Thanks. I figured that the best way to answer my question was to install it. I installed the lite version. It appears to keep my curve and white balance. I will play with it for a while and see what happens.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I fiddleded a bit with bibble. It is an ok processor. But again don't want to buy it. think my 30 days is up :<(( Would have liked to play with it more.

12. I have had good experiences with Bibble and now that Nikon Capture has upgraded it's software, I haven't had many problems with it.

13. what is the link for this download?

14. Just Google 'Bibble".:smile:

15. Technical question - Linux.

I just tried to install Bibble Pro 4.4, Linux version, using the rpm package.

I get an error:

[root@localhost tymp]# rpm -ivh bibblepro-4.4.0-1.i586.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libstdc++.so.5 is needed by bibblepro-4.4.0-1.i586
    libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by bibblepro-4.4.0-1.i586
    libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2.1) is needed by bibblepro-4.4.0-1.i586
    libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by bibblepro-4.4.0-1.i586

I've had no luck tracing down these libraries on the web. Anyone out there know anything about this?

16. After a few days on Bibble demo, I've decided to stick to Nikon Capture. The learning curve is just too steap for the benefits I can anticipate. I didn't feel comfortable with it's workflow where if you open a NEF file, it will apply to it the settings used on the last image you have processed. Also, under certain conditions, when adjusting the image, it seems that it applies a layer over the original, but that layer is a few milimeters off so you get to see something reminescent of a high pass filter with terrible purple fringing. It may all be a matter of me not knowing how to drive that piece of software, but as I said, it seems it would take me days to get to do what I can do in NC in a flash.

17. Found the solution to my Linux problem on the Bibble support forum.

Thanks for looking.