Captured my first Raptor in Flight!

He keeps circling the area from time to time, and today I had the 300f4 with 1.4xTC mounted :Crunk:

...and finally managed to capture a few frames.

But have no idea what it is. :confused:

Can someone help me and identify this big Bird!

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks in advance!​

Woo Hoo Michael! Looks great...but like the lens lust forum now you'll certainly want to get an even sharper shot with the 300mm F/2.8 VR, or possibly the 200-400 f/4.

:biggrin:

But have no idea what it is.

Can someone help me and identify this big Bird!

The clue is in the TAIL. It is a Kite and a Red Tailed Kite at that. The breast feathers make me think that it is a adult rather than a juvenile.

They have been re-introduced in to UK and we now have a healthy population that exist in small pockets in England, Scotland and Wales.

That is a great capture and one that you should be well pleased with.

http://www.birdguides.com/html/vidlib/species/Milvus_milvus.htm

BW. Bob F.

Excellent capture Michael. I can imagine how excited you were when you saw this in your viewfinder. :smile:

Super shot for sure.
Congratulations on that one:>))
No I don't know what he is either.
But the v-type tail resembles a kite.

M

midi

Hi Michael

It's definitely a Red Kite. Both males and females are similar in colour only the latter being slightly larger.

Great capture, Michael! A few more of this and I think you'll be in trouble, just like the rest of us (the perfect lens for birding is 200 mm longer than whatever you have in your bag!)

The clue is in the TAIL. It is a Kite and a Red Tailed Kite at that. The breast feathers make me think that it is a adult rather than a juvenile.

BW. Bob F.

Well, if Bob says it is a Kite, then it sure MUST be a kite. Funny, though, all MY kites have strings on them so that I can manage them and they don't fly away ...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Really cool shot of a bird we don't see around our parts. But obviously, if you REALLY want to get good shots of this bird you need longer glass, a sturdier tripod, a Gimbal head, a special hat. It is the ONLY way you can get any decent pictures at all, take my word for it, I'd never steer you wrong.

(C'mon folks, give me a hand here, we have a chance to help somebody spend their money :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: )

Keep up the good work, but be careful, it can be addictive :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom