1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CaptureNX to Photoshop CS2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by lr1811, Mar 26, 2007.

1. I open my nef files in CaptureNX, do my editing, and then File > Open With... Photoshop CS2.

In Photoshop when I want to save as a jpg, I have to first change the mode to 8 Bits/Channel (Image > Mode > 8 Bits/Channel).

OTHER then the jpg save (Baseline "Standard" / Quality 10), am I losing anything else by doing this?

I mean, am I 'doing it right' so to speak?

2. I use Capture 4.4.2 rather than NX, but that is the way I do it. If I think I might do further work on the Photoshop edit I will save it in a 16 bit format (tif or psd).

3. Ron Reznick, the resident guru on N.C. favors saving from the nef as a 8 bit (personally I safe it as a tif...you can always generate any type jpg from that, plus there is no loss with the tif). His reasoning is that with the white balance and EV set set in N.C. (or even NX) nothing is to be gained by using the extra storage. I recently switched from N.C. to NX 1.1. I see no reason to use N.C. any longer, especially when it crashes at least once a day on my MacPro 3.0 running 10.4.9. Only rarely do I save the tif as a 16 bit.

Rich

4. ?

How much am I losing when I go back to my psd file (currently saved as 8 bit)? Basically nothing or at least, nothing to worry about?

5. Psd like tif is a lossless format so the only data lost in your workflow is the 16 bit to 8 bit conversion. If you did the significant editing in NX or Photoshop while still in 16 bit mode you probably have nothing to worry about.

6. !

Thanks... I just wanted to make sure I was heading in the right direction.

7. other than to post the jpg on the internet, I am having touble finding a reason to ever save a file in 8 bit mode. you gain nothing, and lose 1/3 of the information. I always save my final files in psd format. tiff just doesnt work for me and saving in jpg is not lossless.

to save for the web, I normally use the save for web feature as it allows eaiser correction to overall size and proper color for the web views.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Rich,

Does the NX crash? I have the same system as you. I was ready to order NX, and have read many reports of crashes, slowing a system down, etc. My experience with Nikon software (Picture Project and the other one) was dismal. So bad I hesitate to use - much less pay for - any Nikon software.

9. No....Nikon Capture crashes. NX is wonderful. Not a single hiccup. Sorry for the poor phrasing. Incidentally I believe NIK wrote the software.

Rich

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you. I'll give it a second look. Maybe download the free trial.

11. shoei

shoei Guest

After doing any tweaking in NX, i save as TIF before opening it in CS2. Make any other changes and either print or save as jpg for web.
    If i just want a jpg, then i save it as a jpg from Capture NX.

12. ba-da-bing!

:wink:

13. shoei

shoei Guest

Tried ARC in CS2 and didnt like it.
    Had a go with Lightroom and still no better.
    NX does what i need esp with Jason Odells eBook.

14. Thanks Shoei, that makes sense.

I purchased Odells eBook after Rich mentioned it in a different thread last night. (thanks Rich!)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.