Capturing BIF is hard? I tried DFIF.

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by DanielD, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Today I tried capturing dragon flies in flight. Now THAT is hard. Following them is not easy as they are really fast and small, and because they are so small I had to focus manually.
    And all that because they refused to sit down somewhere (later I found one).

161451912-O.

161451946-O.

161451982-O.

Later I found this one sitting at a different place:

161452021-O.

I could identify them as "Anax imperator" (Königslibelle in German) and it is said this one has the best flying skills (of those my book knows of). Now that explains why it was so hard tracking them. I used my D200 + 70-200 and any longer focal length would have made tracking even harder, I guess.

After all.... I got my first dragonfly shots!! Wooohoo! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::redface:

2. Fine job Daniel after all that work I am sure it was worth it in the end.

3. Gulp!!! Thats talent!!!

4. My, you have to be really quick on the focus with something that small and that fast.

5. I'm getting dizzy just looking at them! how well I know abuot their flight! I learned a bunch about dragonflies and damselflies Saturday - not east to get even when sitting still! Fantastic!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I can't do that:>)))
    Good job

7. Amazingly good captures! Very nice

Tried that once with Damsels and failed miserably.....:Crunk:

8. These are good Daniel, I have had some luck with them in flight and I set my lens and camera in MF mode and as high a SS as I could go and on a tripod I left it focused on one spot and when I though one was in the lens I would click the remote release and I missed a lot for sure but I also got a few. Doing it your way was much harder and you did a good job.
    Lou

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I've tried that too with no luck. They are very hard to get. Excellent.

10. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    My goodness:cool:! And I thought Bob the Spiderman's example of butterflies in flight was mad. Dragonflies in flight sounds like a job for a strobe setup:smile:.

11. Thanks for the nice comments :smile:
    Yes, it was a bit crazy and I wouldn't have come to that idea if that nasty critter would have nicely posed in front of me on a water lily leaf.
    But no, instead it decided to fly aross the lilies in front of me without stopping and then I thought... ok, if you don't want to pose for me I'll get you anyway!

(After all, these were to be my first dragon fly shots, so I couldn't let him win..)

You can imagine the keeper rate was extremely low as I missed the focus most of the time. Nevertheless I left the scene with a grin in the face (I won!). :biggrin:

12. That's an Emperor! They (almost) never settle in a convenient place. But they fly so close and they are almost predictable - so they tempt you into trying flight shots. These are nice: you have to be very good (or very lucky) to do any better. IME the downy emerald and the southern hawker are also possible to shoot in flight, and perhaps a little easier than his imperial majesty.
    Dragonflies tend to have different common names in different countries, these are their English english names: for reference purposes, emperor = Anax imperator, downy emerald = Cordulia aenea (Jukka has just posted photos in the macro forum) and southern hawker = Aeshna cyanea

Alan

13. You name it. Tempted I was. I wish I hadn't focus manually, otherwise they could have come out better as I could have concentrated on following them.
    I used the thumb of my left hand which I held the lens with for focussing which worked reasonably, but instead of the AF system I most of the time had to find out first whether it's front of back focussed. So in the end I was happy with what I got.