Car Accident!

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Phil K, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I was shooting birds in ther wetlands this afternoon. Then suddenly a car appeared like a rocket, failed to negotiate the band, left the road just 10 ft away from me and plunged into the water. I think it took my about 3 seconds before I could move - dashed to my car, threw the camera to the seat, grabbed my cell phone and called emergency, taking off my clothes at the same time. When I rushed back to the scene, 3 young guys were already in the water. We managed to get to the car and open the door. A big guy felt inside and found nothing on the driver's seat. We shouted and heard a voice from the passenger side. A big guy on that side opened the door, grabbed the trapped man but could not pull him out. By this time, firemen arrived (fortunately there's a fire station very near). They were real fast and got to the car (about 10-15 yards from shore) in no time. They were now all on the passenger side trying to pull the guy out, and at this point, I went back up shore. They were lifting the car up slightly and pulling the guy out while I grabbed my camera and took a few shots.

original.

original.

original.

original.

They pulled the guy out of the car and I put down the camera again and went to examine him. He's concious, talking and without any scratches or broken bone! He was quickly carried the the ambulance and then to hospital.

This guy could have killed himself, and he almost killed me. He was lucky. If I was not there shooting, other people might not stop by to watch, and nobody might know there was an accident until many many minutes later.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Way to go Phil!! We have a hero on board. It's a good thing that you were there, and you definitely did the right thing. :smile:

4. what a stoke of good fate in a bad situation. Thank you for being there.
    Dave

5. Wow, I'm speechless.....great going Phil, on all accounts!!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Phil,
    As Paul said for sure.

Glad YOU were ok as well.

Great level head on your part.

I am sure it scared the cr@p out of you.

Nice shots too. How could you , with shaking hands for sure.

Happy New Year.

7. Phil, way to get into action. In Accidents every second counts.
    Your actions were very heroic.

8. Phil,
    I am glad to see that you are still with us. Your actions are admirable.

God Bless,
    David

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Well done Phil, in shot 3 you can see the fireman explaining that a huge exhaust and front wheel drive do not a formula one driver make!:Whistle:

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice work Phil, in, and out, of the water!

11. Phil,
    That was a close call for both you and the driver of the car! Glad your OK. Well done!!

12. Great job Phil the man was lucky you were there even if you were almost unlucky to be there.

13. merciful heavens!!!!! What an Unusual Incident!!
    I'm so glad no one got hurt!!
    (I should say: What a WACKY Driver!!)

14. Wow, what a capure. These images belong in the newspaper.

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great work, Phil. You accomplished two things...you assisted someone in their time of need and you snapped a few images to document your experience. I have been on one similar incident and that is why I never carry my wallet in my pocket while at work. I dove into a creek to try to get to the driver of a vehicle that was upside down in the water. Everything ended up alright, with the exception of a very water-logged wallet and it's contents.

16. Thanks everyone for the comment. In retrospect, I think it's not really heroic. It's just simple human nature, and at that time there was no other choice. I just happened to be there, and at best, we are accidental heroes.

I think the real heroes are people like Frank(eng45ine), who brave into fire and water almost everyday to save life.

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the very nice complement, Phil. Without making too much or too little about what we do for a living, the key to our success is teamwork. I have always told new-hires that there is absolutely nothing that we can't accomplish if we work as a team. That concept is no different than what works in medicine, the auto industry, the Nikon Corporation, etc. What is most notable, is that seemingly ordinary people find conviction in their souls to step up unselfishly when someone nearby is in dire straits and extends a hand. When most would find it easier to look but not react...those that choose to risk a little so others may not lose all are special people!

18. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Phil, you did the right thing and that takes both a clear mind and courage in such situations. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. And the images are excellent! They really belong in a newspaper, together with your story.

19. Thanks, Heiko. I am happy because nobody get hurt. It could be a nasty accident.

Well said, Frank.

20. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Great job, Phil

As a former newspaper photographer - and a current newspaper editor - I say great job. You did the right things in the right order.

I second the earlier opinion: these shots belong in the local newspaper!