Share Car key fob battery

Car Nissan Xtrail Tekna

When was the last time you put ,or the garage replaced the battery (wireless type) in your car key fob? I got to thinking about it, when the car goes in for a service they only take one set of keys. Therefore on that basis one set or both never get the battery replaced. In mine it is a small round CR button battery which has been in them for 6 years.

So decided to order new batteries to be on the safe side, don't want them to pack up suddenly. There is a manual normal emergency key within the fob but that only opens the doors, bit pointless if you can't start the car with it.
So it actually took to reading the handbook as to how to change the battery ,even that took some finding, came under maintenance not the key section.car key fob battery

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
My car will give me a warning message if key fob battery needs to be replaced

I have experienced a dead key fob battery, and now replace them every 3-5 years.

Real Name
Don Roy
[In the last non-image General thread I posted to yesterday, you wanted photos. Figured my comment here may as well have one too. :)] The 2001 red one in front will be 20 this April, still has the same fob battery. The 1993 red one in back doesn't have doors unless on the trailer. (Yes, they are exactly the same paint color, CC PR4). I got the Jeep used in 1996 and the Durango new. This is in 2015 where I'm picking up my cruise buddy to go play in Silverton, CO for a long weekend.
20150820_115033.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andrew
Car Nissan Xtrail Tekna

When was the last time you put ,or the garage replaced the battery (wireless type) in your car key fob? I got to thinking about it, when the car goes in for a service they only take one set of keys. Therefore on that basis one set or both never get the battery replaced. In mine it is a small round CR button battery which has been in them for 6 years.

So decided to order new batteries to be on the safe side, don't want them to pack up suddenly. There is a manual normal emergency key within the fob but that only opens the doors, bit pointless if you can't start the car with it.
So it actually took to reading the handbook as to how to change the battery ,even that took some finding, came under maintenance not the key section.car key fob battery

Most modern cars with push to start have a way of starting with the keyfob dead.

On my 2011 Hyundai Sonata, there is a slot that the fob fits in located inside the console. I just place the key in there and the car fires up. I've had to do this a few times this year because it got so cold, the battery in the fob stopped working. I was out hiking and had the key in my backpack. I've now resorted to putting the key in my inside coat pocket or pant pocket to prevent this from happening.

On my wife's 2015 Honda Accord Coupe, you just hold the fob next to the push-to-start button and the car will fire up.

My guess would be that other cars with this kind of ignition system would/should have something similar.

I replace my batteries every 5 years or so. I usually walk into Batteries+Bulbs and they replace them for me.

21 year old E39 BMW.
Original key fobs.
Not even sure batteries are replaceable.

I think the variability here is related to how these more modern key fobs are used. Historically, you only used the key fob to lock or unlock your vehicle. Newer cars seem to constantly interact with the key fobs for proximity which I'm sure drains the batteries quite a bit more quickly. I never seem to actually push the button on my key fobs anymore, but the fob is obviously sending signals to my vehicle allowing me to lock and unlock by touch, push button start, and prevent me from locking my keys inside the vehicle or the trunk.

My car I got new 6 years ago and never changed the battery. just got new batteries a couple of minutes ago . Tried the fobs out and yes the car recognised a lot quicker the signals from the fobs. So for me well worth doing for the cost of a £1 each or there abouts.

VW, Allttrack, once a year or so. It gives plenty of advance notice. It's a keyless start, so it eats power faster than my Subaru, which is a key-start ignition. Subaru has a dead receiver in the door, so the fob no longer works, which is a real PITA—since there is only one door that open with a key, the drivers side. Grrrrrr#@#$.

Real Name
Ken St John
Our newer Fords (2016 & 2020) both will tell us when a battery is low. The '16's seemed to last about 3 years. Changing one is easy. I've also read about the tray in the console for "emergency" use but so far have not had to check it out. One thing I've grown to really like on all of our later model Fords has been the keypad on the driver's door for use when the fob isn't handy. I'm sometimes surprised just how often it gets used!!

Ken

Last edited:
I work on the third story of a large building, and my truck is normally parked about 100 yards from the building. In Winter I use my factory remote start to turn on the truck when I am leaving work. By the time I get my jacket on, take the elevator downstairs and walk to my truck, it is warm and windows are defrosted.

I change the battery in my fob whenever my remote start fails at that distance.

Real Name
Don Roy
So all this fob talk, and that a battery swap can give better range, got me to open my 20 yr old one. Nope, not a 2032 battery. It has two stacked 2016's to make 6V. Now to shop I guess.

Last edited:
I never had to change the battery in my 15-year-old Acura's key fob but it did a whole lot less than the key fob I have now for my new 2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback. That new car is much more dependent upon battery power than the old one, as it does so many things automatically! I was just wondering about the battery replacement thing the other day as I was getting into the vehicle and pushing the "start" button. I should take a look in the manual and see what is stated about the frequency of replacing the battery in the fob and how to do it....... I would expect that the car will inform me when a replacement battery is needed in the fob, as she seems to tell me about everything else! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom