Car Race @ The German Nurburgring

Hey peeps,

It has been a while since my last post, but that doesn't mean I forgot of you guys:wink: So, time for me to post another set of pictures of the car races I have visited during the last couple of months. Personaly, I think I made some good progress especially when it comes to panningshots.
I even liked my pannings in the past, but due to I got better and better at it and more confident in it as well. I have managed to lower the shutterspeed and still end up with very sharp images :cool: I really don't like high shutterspeeds. Although, sometimes you don't have any other choose. To my mind, sports and motorsports photography are very interesting to take pictures of. I feel myself totally connected to my subject when looking through the viewfinder:cool:

The nurburgring is a great place to cover motorsport events, the 24-hours and the VLN-races are superb. Maybe some of you saw the coverage of this year's 24H race on MotorsTV, it was great !!! The team of Olaf Manthey, Manthey Racing, finally managed to win this one. They sure did deserved it !

I still use the D70, some people don't like it or just can't believe it that this camera is any good according to motorsport photography. The focus can be slow, that's true but on the other hand I just adore the results where I end up with. I tend to shoot in NEF-files only, the quality of the NEF's is waaaaay better than the jpegs and during the aftermath it's much better to work with a NEF than a jpeg.
The lens I use is the superb 70-200mm 2.8 VR:smile: :biggrin: It's the best thing since sliced bread most definitely !!!
I'm waiting till the new D3h arrives, I really want one of those. The feature I miss the most is a professional viewfinder. I had the luck to shoot with a friend's D2x last year and the difference between a non-pro and a pro viewfinder is just too big.

All pictures shown, are only slightly cropped. I always start from a good framed subject !!!

I hope you enjoy the pics, have fun watching !!!

Let's start with a few impressions of this year's 24-hours' race:

Safety car
DSC_8711%20Audi%20RS4%20Safety%20Car_web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Manthey Porsche (GT3 with 550 bhp) Winner of this year's edition
DSC_8718%20Nr%2028%20Porsche%20Manthey%20Racing.jpg

DSC_8725%20Nr%2044%20Porsche.jpg

DSC_8742%20Nr%208%20Aston%20Martin%20SportAuto.jpg

DSC_8750%20Nr%2012%20Lambo%20Gallardo%20GTR.jpg

5th Overall !!! BMW 120d 250 bhp
DSC_8865%20Nr%20263%20BMW%20120d%20Schubert-Motorsport%20web.jpg

DSC_8939%20Nr%2093%20BMW%20M3.jpg

Some images made during the latest VLN-race

DSC_9790%20Nr%20109%20Alzen%20Motorsport_web.jpg

DSC_9823%20Nr%20391%20BMW%20V8-Star_web.jpg

DSC_9827%20Nr%20604%20Porsche%20GT3_web.jpg

DSC_9845%20Nr%20106%20Porsche%20Fujifilm_web.jpg

DSC_9950%20Nr%20Schubert-Motors%20BMW%2012d_web.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them guys, till next time.

Very exciting shots, Johan! I can't imagine the fatigue you must experience in photographing a 24 hour event. Were you shooting there for the whole 24 hours, or were you able to take a break?

PGB

Wonder captures. Such speed with your pictures is very impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Very exciting shots, Johan! I can't imagine the fatigue you must experience in photographing a 24 hour event. Were you shooting there for the whole 24 hours, or were you able to take a break?

Thanks the comment Phototropic. Due to my work scheme I couldn't be there for the entire race. I was there for like 14 hours I guess, but it was 14 hours of hiking and snapping plus it was very hot as well. Here in Belgium and Germany we have had 4 weeks of very high temperatures this summer. We reached more than 30°C during the daytime that period. We tend to have nice summers here in Europe but temperatures above 35°C for such a long period are not that common over here.
But anyway, you don't hear me complaining about that, I can stand those situations. Especially if the german car fans are so kind to offer you free beer:biggrin: :smile:

I hope I can manage to be there for the whole 24-hours next year.

Cheers

Great images!!! Thanks for sharing. One day I'll visit "The Green Hell."

JZImages,

Thanks for the comment. If you ever come over to pay the Nurburgring a visit please let me know, we can have a meet and greet and don't mind to be your guide. The Nurburgring is a long circuit as you probably know and you need to know your way around:smile:

Take care

Steved53,

In a way I'm glad still being satisfied with the D70. It is what you are used to work with as well of coarse. I guess is much easier making the step from a D70 to a pro body than the other way around.

If you are planning to get rid of one of your D2h's don't hesitate and send one over to Belgium it isn't that far :)

Take care

@ Mr. Bramlett

Thanks for the nice comment. What's wrong with us as men ... it's all good when there is some power and speed involved :) The perfect adrenaline rush :)

All the best

Great Shots! The Lambo shot is outstanding!

Superb images Johan! Favorites are the black BMW & Porsche!

Since your from Belgium too I would ask you a couple of questions :)

I've baught myself the 70-200 VR too a couple of weeks ago, and I would be great to try some panning pictures (never tried it). Which are the best places to practice? I know we have Zolder, Francorchamps ... but Zolder isn't any good they say because the track has fences all over it. How about Francorchamps?

How's the Nurburgring? Do you need a press-pass to get close to the action? If you go to the Nurburgring on a normal saturday ... is there anything to take pictures of?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated :)

Superb images Johan! Favorites are the black BMW & Porsche!

Since your from Belgium too I would ask you a couple of questions :)

I've baught myself the 70-200 VR too a couple of weeks ago, and I would be great to try some panning pictures (never tried it). Which are the best places to practice? I know we have Zolder, Francorchamps ... but Zolder isn't any good they say because the track has fences all over it. How about Francorchamps?

How's the Nurburgring? Do you need a press-pass to get close to the action? If you go to the Nurburgring on a normal saturday ... is there anything to take pictures of?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated :)

Hi catscratsh,

Thanks for the comment on my photos.

Here is what I think towards shooting motorsport events in Belgium.

I can be very short about that; Belgium is crap ! Unless you have a press-pass then you are god but without one ... . I have given it up.
Zolder is as you have said a very difficult circuit, there are fences all over the place:mad:

Francoschamps isn't that bad as long as the event isn't official. For example; the Porsche Days. Great event and as far as I'm aware of there are no restrictions:biggrin: I have experienced that myself a couple of years ago.
But once the event is an official one it's bullocks !!! Marchals all over the place and instead of a "hello" they scream you out of your socks:frown:

Germany on the other hand (Nurburgring) is heaven on earth !!!

Two things: First of all, it is a very safe place because the circuit lays a bit lower than the area where the spectators are and where we as photographers are as well eventually. There is a huge fence-work around the Nurburgring as well but these fences have a height of only 1m50:biggrin: Instead of the mad marchals over here in Belgium those are very kind and once they hear that you are a motorsports fan coming from abroad to watch a VLN-race at the Ring they really appreciate you.

Second thing: Due to these ideal situations you don't need a press-pass at the Ring to be able to shoot good pictures. For some places you do need one but overall it's not a necessity.
You can alternate your angles ... possibilities enough.
One thing though, due to the length of the circuit it's impossible to walk around it within 4 or 6 hours. According to the pictures you want to make, you have to choose the places you want to visit on for hand. Don't forget to take into account the position of the sun.

I use to visit the VLN-races, but you can go there during a non-race weekend as well. They have 'touristenfahrten' then. It sure is worth paying a visit. Lots of Germans, Englishmen, Belgians, Italians etc ... come over to lap the nordschleife in there sportscars.

You can find all the info needed on www.nuerburgring.de and www.nurburgring.de

I will send you my email adress in a pm, you may contact me whenever you like. If you want to team up to cover a VLN-race, be my guest :smile: :biggrin:

Regards

Thanks guys for the positive reply, I appreciate it alot !!!

Regards

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom