Car rig first time =)

I suck at photoshopping the rig out so i'm going have to pick up a few lessons as i do more shots

12 foot emt pole divided into thirds and coupling at 2 ends
tokina 11-16 2.8
d300 no grip since its a bit heavy
3 manfrotto super clamps
2 f1000 avenger suction cups
1 manfrotto magic arm

3799592382_376429013d_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3798774939_afd5f45a5b_b.jpg

how the rig looks like
3798803195_baa12f74a3_b.jpg

Very good first try.

My first thought when I saw your first shot was that you need a wider lens. Then I noticed that you were using a 11-16mm Tokina . . . maybe a longer pole would be helpful.

Your photoshopping looks pretty good. One thing I would suggest though is that when you are using the cloning tool over large areas select a new source area from time to time. In the second shot the large repetitive patterns in the trees attract too much attention. Try to make things a little more random.

These rigs always make me a little nervous. If I was doing this I'd probably add a third suction cup near the windshield end of the pole to increase the safety margin a little.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the pointer the angle i pick wasnt so good on the first one or the 2nd one since I was doing everything really slow and bymyself so I was a bit paranoid.
I'm most likely going add a third cup since the rig holds well but it bounces slightly.

No big deal but it also works coasting it.

For the cloning I was trying make it look like the batch of trees oddly enough they made a lot of patches the same.

I really like these. I have the magic arm and have been wanting to do this same type of thing. How strong are the suction cups? Theguys at the camera store (Samys in Pasadena, Ca) did not seem to think they would hold much. I also bought a "Gecko" suction mount that you mount a camera to. It's very strong, but you deffinetly get road vibration through it. And that's only about 6" out. I mounted it on the hood of my Tahoe and experimented with slow shutter speeds. I think shooting tethered would be pretty slick so you could see your results and adjust them wihout having to pull over and fool with it. How are you firing the camera? I was using Pocketwizards to fire mine.

These were the car being pushed I did this all bymyself.

first picture i got alot reponses about the distortion and poor angle.
I just learned how the magic arm worked by 2nd shot.

I used a circular polarizer since I didn't have anything else and wanted to try it out asap.

1-2 second since thats all it allowed. f 22.
Manual focus on some.

I pushed the car in neutral ill upload some more shots later tonight after i edit them.

updated
3801900685_5bf07fb189_b.jpg

3801900361_28bc8bcc7c_b.jpg

3801899281_c83cf06f7a_b.jpg

3801900077_5f8b3186db_b.jpg

took some peoples advice and mounted it on the windshield and tried for lower angles.
note to self going to stop shooting tree backgrounds cuz they make some ugly blurs I spent 20 mins fixing blurs that wasnt even from the rig haha...

3801900937_d9fac8022f_b.jpg

3802717556_271f43db41_b.jpg

3801901527_07ac9561ef_b.jpg

my own car in action =)

Next time going try some night shots was going tonight but it looked like it was going to rain.

These were done by coasting the car with the engine on not too much vibration my car made it a bit harder, but not too bad.

f22 1-2 second
manual focus

I scoped out new locations just need to go out there with a friend.

man, i'm a sucker for rig shots. I bought very unreliable poles so mine ended up bad..
I think you should add on to the length of the poles. I know you're already using a wide lenses, but even so it's too compacted in

10 foot pole is good enough I'm playing the safe side in supporting the pole first till i get a third cup.

Their also compacted cuz on my cars roof as well as my friends corolla the pole started flexing his roof in so we had to move a cup to the windshield and all was good. We still played it safe and my camera was not more than at least a foot off the ground. I'm going to go lower after a few more runs with different variables.

Day 1 was pushing
day 2 was driving and bumps.
day 3 hopefully better location and angles.

updates
A little less than one full second for the shots before.

The shots here are done with a circular polarize stacked on a Hoya nd .6 filter nx4
Taken at 1 second - 1.5 second.

3813410908_0102cc7fab_b.jpg

3812596417_a2b57f2b99_b.jpg

3815567626_d7eec1e905.jpg

3815556020_41bea2b979.jpg

loaner car woot haha

quite fun but didn't come out as nice

Latest threads

Top Bottom