Car Sat nav

When my wife and I travel, we have Google Maps on her cell phone, a Garmin device plugged into the car, the navigation system built into our car, and, of course, a printed Atlas. Yes, both of us also wear suspenders and belts.
I like to get the road maps from the state welcome stations as I cross the state line. I get two typically. One to use. The other as a souvenir. When I drove to just north of Toronto, I was able to collect 13 maps.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You're right! That's built into our car though I don't know about rental cars.
You should have a compass tied on your belt. When the car breaks down on a remote track and there is no cellphone signal, all you will have left is your atlas. With an overcast sky so you can't see the sun or stars you won't know which way to start walking. The compass will save you.

(I use maps stored on a memory chip in my phone so no phone signal is needed. Plus printed detailed maps. Plus compass.)

Real Name
Barry
Let us know please how it goes. On mine it upgraded automatically with the new card . You did get the right connect version I hope.
.no need to thank a pint of beer if we ever meet up will do

The seller contacted me today, to say that he had no stock of the Connect1 at moment, but would have them in 2-4 days time (he offered a full refund if I wanted to go elsewhere). But I agreed to leave it on order with him. So I should get it next week at some point. Will let you know who I get on.

The seller contacted me today, to say that he had no stock of the Connect1 at moment, but would have them in 2-4 days time (he offered a full refund if I wanted to go elsewhere). But I agreed to leave it on order with him. So I should get it next week at some point. Will let you know who I get on.
Ok at lest they are keeping you informed

Real Name
Ken St John
Our Ford in-dash updates for our Fusion (SD based Sync 2) are also expensive from Ford itself, but often within a few weeks they show up on Amazon/eBay for more reasonable costs. No issues at all with compatibility.

Our newer Explorer (Sync 3), however, looks to be a bit more problematic. The updates only come on an encrypted USB stick or download direct from Ford; but our first one was free (2017 data -> 2019 data). Not so sure what will happen down the road, but I suspect they'll be expensive. There are hacks available, but I'll continue to be reluctant to use them in the future as there's a lot of "features" that run through the infotainment system and I certainly don't want to brick it and loose warranty coverage!!

We can use CarPlay as well so that will be an option if we need newer information.

In general, I much prefer the larger in-dash Ford display vs CarPlay. Frankly, I don't often see many real changes in the updates although I'm sure they are present in some areas.

Ken

I had a Ford explorer once bought it new. Wow it was a job to tell the difference between the fuel guage and the speedometer, it drank fuel just as fast and that ain't cheap over here, so got rid of it but as for comfort a big thumbs up.
Best ever cars were the Toyota Amazon 4.2ltr Diesels ,had three or four of them at different times it was like being king of the road driving them

Real Name
Barry
Card arrived yesterday, just took old card out of satnav and inserted new one and it worked straight away, all for only £17.49 :).

Latest threads

Top Bottom