1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

car wax/polishes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willg, Jul 19, 2008.

1. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Just curious as too what car waxes/polishes everyone uses (if at all). Pro's and cons of any. Just recently bought a new vehicle and would really like to try and keep up with it as much as possible. Thanks.........

2. Will

On a new/newer vehicle I use Mothers products and for an older car with oxidized paint I'll use Nu Finish which is a little harsh since they use larger abrasives but it does a good job. Never had any issues with a Mothers product.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

I have worked on cars all my life and have tried and tested them all. I have found the Turtle Wax ICE is the best store bought wax and quick detailer. Is clear too which makes clean up a breeze. No more white residue left over.
    If you want to go high end then P21S, Zymol or Zaino is going to be your best. The 3M products are good to but a little overpriced for what you get unless you need compounds for a buffer.

4. Kit was the last stuff I ever used but that was decades ago

5. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
  6. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

Meguiars doesn't make a bad product. It just doesn't last too long. They do work well though and are cheap.
    http://www.autopia.org/ is going to be your best source for detailing info.

7. SpoonFed

SpoonFed

Jul 19, 2008
    Bay Area
    If you want something off the shelf, get Meguiars gold class products. To prevent scratches wash with a good sheep skin wash mitt and dry with waffle weave/microfiber cloths. I also agree with tintingkc, autopia.org is a great website for detailing info

8. www.autopia.org

I have used Klasse products for several years now and see no need to change. Complete protection with vehicles living in dirveway 27/7/365. Easy on, easy off. Has been around since the 60's, so is not a fad.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Turtle Wax Ice is the best wax I've used. Great finish on the car, extra easy application, and pretty durable.

John P.

10. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The best wax is the one that you will put on the car. The best waxes in the world do not help if they sit on your garage shelf. Meguiars, Motherrs, they are all good as long as you take the time to put it on.

11. baeken

baeken

Jun 24, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Mothers! but it doesn't really matter for me seeing as how i own a mid 90's Honda (oxidizing all over!)

12. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Meguiar's products on my cars.

13. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    AutoGlym

Only AutoGlym for my cars. Not the cheapest but the best shine and lasts long.

http://www.autoglym.com

14. I have been waxing cars over 40 years. Started when I got my first car at the age of 13.
    I have tried them all. I mean ALL!.
    A few years ago, I met a auto painter. We got talking about car care. I asked him what wax he used. He told me Astro Shield. I bought a can and have never ever used anything else. This stuff goes on easy, has a very deep shine and seems to get even deeper after further curing. Oh, and by the way, it beads up water way longer than any other I have used.
    Great stuff!

Picture2-1.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

15. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Zaino!! (www.zainostore.com) This stuff rocks, deepest looking and holds up to the elements. Scratches in your clearcoat? - their scratch polish is incredible!
    (this is not a paid advertising for the product - I just love the stuff!)

16. I've used Klasse for the last six years (and I'm only about one-third through the original container).

Durable, deep gloss, super-easy on and off. Highly recommended.

Eric

17. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Zymol, or Meguiars. But there are good suggestions here.

18. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Give Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 a go, I love it on my black Honda. It's easy to use,easy to wipe off , and looks good! :smile:

19. Another Zaino fan...I used it w/ stellar results on my MINI Cooper a few years ago. The entire process is time consuming, but the outcome is worth it.

Don't forget to jump in whole hog, i.e. claybar as the first step; and pay attention to your towels (i.e. 100% Egyptian cotton, w/ no synthetics [causes swirls], unless you're a random orbital polisher guy)

20. Owenh

Owenh

Nov 24, 2006
    Hueytown, Al.
    Car Wax

Try properautocare.com , Pinnacle car wax is the best car
    wax I have ever used !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.