Caracara Youngin

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gale, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well here is one of the new Caracaras to the Viera Wetlands. They are probably about 6 weeks old.....

This one stays fairly visable and not afraid of us for some reason. Alot of fun to watch them learn to forage and fly gracefully. Sitting on the post and the fence poses some unbalance at times.
    But it is coming along nicely:>)) Finds a few tidbits of food on it's own to.:>))) One day a snake scared it and he/she jumped up in the air. lol Pretty funny.

Taking a little stroll by the creek, while waiting for the next meal.

Well time for food I think, again. Just like a kid yelling for its parents:>))
    View attachment 87671

Ok I will give you a pose. Mom is taking her sweet time with the Rat...lol
    I am so cute
    View attachment 87672

Hope you liked them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  2. Great series, Gale! Thanks for the laugh... that last one is a terrific shot! Love the foreground flowers being out of focus, creating depth.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Sandi..
    Wish I had the 300 f4 for these:>))
    I do like his/hers Portrait in the spring time flowers.
    The others are behavior. Wish some of the others had turned out better. Had touble with the harsh light and the bright sand.

I saw so much stuff yesterday..wow. Was wandering around all day.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Your birds are certainly different from ours. Must be fun to watch them. Great shots. They look almost cute.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well not the precious baby duckie cute but an innocent type cute. I guess just knowing how young the bird is.
    Yes this is a very different bird for sure.
    They are endangered here in Florida due to the loss of environment. To bad for out wildlife I say.

Thank you for stopping in, and glad you enjoyed out new addition to the Viera Wetlands

6. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Love these, Gale! Thanks so much for posting these. I didn't realize they were this grown already - about 6 weeks huh? I guess those rat dinners really put on the pounds. :biggrin:

The last shot is wonderful from the technical aspect, but I also like the other two a lot; I can almost read their minds (food, food, where's my food?).

7. Beautiful Gale! I take it this birdie is in FL only? I haven't heard much about it before.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Miko,
    Oh yes, food , food , food:)))
    Keeps the parents hunting all day. I remember the parents teaching them to hunt last year. Like stealing turtle eggs. They really LOVE turtle:>)))) They will catch small turtles to.
    I think all of our birds eat anything:>))) They were out of the nest a couple weeks ago. The two were staying together then
    The other one stays farther out in the field now...
    Interesting stuff:>)))
    Wish someone would pay me to go out almost every day and write a journal and take pics...
    I photographed Baby Limpkins for 5 weeks in a row. 6th week I could not longer find them.
    I see a couple of them now and again.

Thank you for peeking in

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl