Caracaras

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, May 2, 2007.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Y'all,

My home county of Brevard. Its is conducting a count of caracaras in hte county. Its estimated that there are 400 caracaras statewide at the moment. They are listed as threatened which is one step away from endagered (facing extinction). The biggest problem they face is the loss of the prarie like habitat that they favor. Their favorite nesting place is cabbage palm trees. Depending on the results of this study the developers may receive "heads ups" about destroying cabbage palms when they build (fat chance that will have of doing much).

Here's a few recent shots of the "Mexican Eagle' (its the national bird of Mexico).
    [​IMG]

here's one carrying lunch back to its nest for the then chicks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see the tracking device on the back of this one
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  2. Very nice series Harry. Sure hate to hear this about the Caracara and its deminishing population. Maybe they'll have a second look at all of the land they are consuming out around Viera Wetlands.
    Also, it looks like they have a few of the birds in this series all wired for tracking.
    A concerning yet interesting story, thanks.

Louie

3. Great series Harry I recognize the male at Viera he posed for me in the Palm tree duing Merrit IV, it is so nice to see them again. The landing shots ars so sweet and the closeup is very cool, how close where you?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I cherish the pics I have as one day we may not see them here anymore. Sad.

The building here is trememdous in the past 2 years and they have lost at least half of thier territory already..
    Thanks Harry..
    Nice shots

5. Sweet series Harry. Send some them caracaras down here. I'm seeing ospreys in my sleep at this point. *-)

6. Great shots Harry! I recognise the one with the transmitter. I miss Viera.....

Best,

Jose

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Louie. Fortunately the caracaras at Viera have the Duda cattle ranch for a habitat so they should make out fine but the growth in the rest of the county is eating up the other areas they inhabitated.

8. Sweet serie, Harry.

It's sad that scientific studies are used to justify the destruction of threatened species habitats.

Miss Viera and its caracaras very much.

9. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Very nice series, Harry.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I was a few feet away on the close-up. He was chomping on a fish so he wasn't paying too much mind to me.

11. Very nice series Harry. The closeup is awesome.

12. nice shots Harry.. I sure hope enough smart people recognize the issue with these birds. Last weekend when I was on the east coast, they had a roped off area about 2 miles long for the piping polver to nest., and no vehicles allowed, until nesting is finished., and big fine for those who ignore the rules.

I am sure the naturalists of this country have come a long way, so there is hope.

thanks for making us aware of this issue.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gale and I feel very lucky to have caught the shots that I have so far.

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Mike but I'm keeping these guys.

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Jose, there's not many places like Viera.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Dao and I hope you get a chance to get back here.

17. Really nice Harry. I hope to see one of these some day.

18. Harry, great shots and story. It is amazing how interest in birds can really help in population return. We don't see them up our way, although one was hanging around in Oregon for a few weeks last summer.

Keep us informed on progress, please.

19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Debbie.

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks David, I was lucky that he was busy with his lunch so I could get in close enough for the close-up.