Caracaras

Hi Y'all,

My home county of Brevard. Its is conducting a count of caracaras in hte county. Its estimated that there are 400 caracaras statewide at the moment. They are listed as threatened which is one step away from endagered (facing extinction). The biggest problem they face is the loss of the prarie like habitat that they favor. Their favorite nesting place is cabbage palm trees. Depending on the results of this study the developers may receive "heads ups" about destroying cabbage palms when they build (fat chance that will have of doing much).

Here's a few recent shots of the "Mexican Eagle' (its the national bird of Mexico).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

here's one carrying lunch back to its nest for the then chicks

you can see the tracking device on the back of this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice series Harry. Sure hate to hear this about the Caracara and its deminishing population. Maybe they'll have a second look at all of the land they are consuming out around Viera Wetlands.
Also, it looks like they have a few of the birds in this series all wired for tracking.
A concerning yet interesting story, thanks.

Louie

I cherish the pics I have as one day we may not see them here anymore. Sad.

The building here is trememdous in the past 2 years and they have lost at least half of thier territory already..
Thanks Harry..
Nice shots

Very nice series Harry. Sure hate to hear this about the Caracara and its deminishing population. Maybe they'll have a second look at all of the land they are consuming out around Viera Wetlands.
Also, it looks like they have a few of the birds in this series all wired for tracking.
A concerning yet interesting story, thanks.

Louie

Thanks Louie. Fortunately the caracaras at Viera have the Duda cattle ranch for a habitat so they should make out fine but the growth in the rest of the county is eating up the other areas they inhabitated.

Sweet serie, Harry.

It's sad that scientific studies are used to justify the destruction of threatened species habitats.

Miss Viera and its caracaras very much.

Great series Harry I recognize the male at Viera he posed for me in the Palm tree duing Merrit IV, it is so nice to see them again. The landing shots ars so sweet and the closeup is very cool, how close where you?
I was a few feet away on the close-up. He was chomping on a fish so he wasn't paying too much mind to me.

nice shots Harry.. I sure hope enough smart people recognize the issue with these birds. Last weekend when I was on the east coast, they had a roped off area about 2 miles long for the piping polver to nest., and no vehicles allowed, until nesting is finished., and big fine for those who ignore the rules.

I am sure the naturalists of this country have come a long way, so there is hope.

thanks for making us aware of this issue.

I cherish the pics I have as one day we may not see them here anymore. Sad.

The building here is trememdous in the past 2 years and they have lost at least half of thier territory already..
Thanks Harry..
Nice shots
Thanks Gale and I feel very lucky to have caught the shots that I have so far.

Harry, great shots and story. It is amazing how interest in birds can really help in population return. We don't see them up our way, although one was hanging around in Oregon for a few weeks last summer.

Keep us informed on progress, please.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom