Card formatting - JPG vs NEF (raw) ?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by BostonRott, Jun 17, 2007.

1. I format my card every time I put it back in the camera. If I've switched between cameras (D70 and D200), I make sure that I format for that camera.

That said, if one formats the card while the camera is set to shoot in one mode (JPG vs NEF), does it matter if you then switch and shoot in the other mode?

Or is this as dumb as asking whether it makes a difference if your computer writes Word files (.doc) on a disk versus Excel (.xls) ? :redface:

I've never switched modes mid-card, but the question came to mind today.

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I have switched modes mid card and have never had a problem. It is very similar to the analogy you used of writing word or excel files to a hard disk. Mine is a layman's opinion but some of the more technically inclined members on this forum may have a different opinion.

3. Thank you Shekhar! :smile:

4. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

The shooting mode or any camera settings, does not affect formating.

I would use the card in the camera that was used for, format however.

5. You can switch all day long. In fact, if you want to compare different jpeg compressions of the same shot, shoot one shot at all settings, the card doesn't care.

Once, I had shot a card full in RAW and wanted to eke out a few more exposures. I changed to JPEG large and was able to fit several more shots.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Do this all the time.

You don't even have to when changing from camera to the next. They all create their own folders or images.

The only thing to watch out for is thinking a card is empty when you press review images when in fact there are images on the card the the camera cannot see.

7. Just to add to this, formating only sets the type of "File System" the card will use (e.g. FAT, FAT32 or NTFS - for windows), and the type of data you store (jpg, NEF or any files) doesn't effect this, only the equipment that will read it (e.g. camera, computer etc).

8. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I agree, also when you format it doesnt erase the images on the card. I had this happen to someone and if you run one of the rescue programs you can recover most of the images.

9. :wink: