Card used in D850 has "Nikon Z 7" folder name. Huh?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Last night I took an empty card, put it in my D850 and took photos of our local fireworks display.

Today I took the card, put it in my card reader, and opened Bridge.

Under "This PC", imagine my surprise to see this ID:

Nikon Z 7 (I:)

Not surprisingly, I get the same information when using Explorer.....!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing the card was formatted in a Z7, and was then left empty.
DANG! Right again, Richard! I usually buy my cards new, but was lucky enough to get 2 used XQD cards some time ago from Mike (MikeEm13). He confirmed that he did indeed format the cards in his Z7!

Karen, why wouldn't you have immediately formatted the cards in your camera before using, anyway? When I buy new cards (I have never bought used ones), first thing I do is format the cards in whichever camera I'm going to be using, and then if for some reason at a later time I decide to switch the card(s) to another camera body, I again format in that body before using for the first time.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Karen you must not have used these when you went to Africa. :) Well now you know they will format in that new Z7 in your future. :)
True. I put the cards from you in my card wallet with my other cards. Then just grabbed a new card as needed! LOL! I tended to download cards each night and make TWO backups.....then reformat the card. So some cards didn't get used during the trip. But it's nice to have a few extra cards in case I suddenly can't do backups....or don't want to erase images off a card.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Karen, why wouldn't you have immediately formatted the cards in your camera before using, anyway? When I buy new cards (I have never bought used ones), first thing I do is format the cards in whichever camera I'm going to be using, and then if for some reason at a later time I decide to switch the card(s) to another camera body, I again format in that body before using for the first time.
I because I took a few photos using each card to make sure they were working. There were no other images on the cards other than the 3-4 images I took so O saw no need to reformat then cards. That test effort proved to me that the cards were working properly. I saw no need to re-format them. I use the same process with new cards. I see no reason to re-format when switching cards from one camera to another since all my cameras are Nikon. I only format cards when the images are backed up and I want to empty the cards for future use.

I see no reason to re-format when switching cards from one camera to another since all my cameras are Nikon.
Sometimes cards formatted in one Nikon camera won't work in another Nikon camera without being formatted. Good to know you don't have to contend with that. I currently don't have to contend with it but that hasn't always been true.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom