Carly-Erin - Inspired by Angelina Jolie

On the cover of Maxim magazine...

Model/MUA - Carly-Erin http://www.carlyerin.com/

Nikon D200, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/250 @ 82mm
Carly007a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Comments appreciated as always.

You can smack me for saying this but, from a modeling perspective, two totally different images. Just because the limbs are placed somewhat the same does not mean the effect is going to come across. This looks too staged. Her hands aren't natural, and her feet are not pretty enough to include in a shot like this. The look on her face seems to have a very 'tough' edge to it, rather than sultry and seductive. It's more of a feel, rather than a pose. This model just doesn't look like she's feeling it...

She really does look unbelievable uncomfortable and the color tone seems far to warm. I don't have a problem with her feet, but I do have a problem with her hand. It would either be on her head or up in the air...not barely touching her head.

Here is my interpretation of it:
created duplicate layer, auto levels + color, faded the layer to about 60%, then dodged a bit and removed the tattoo. I also did a +1 (box) LAB saturation on A&B. I also smoothed over her foot veins and what not for that smoother look.

Last edited by a moderator:
And another approach:
Take current photo I edited -

Select Image --> Apply --> Screen
Duplicate that layer twice and delete the locked layer.
Take top layer and give a Gaussian Blur between 4.5 -8.
Go back to your layers and Multiply them. Now fade the top layer until you are happy (I did about 52%). Keeps the blur down and gives it a smoother appearance w/o looking like an 80's glamor shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are all welcome to your own opinions and I appreciate your comments, however if I wanted to simply make a duplicate image, I would have done a much better job. In my mind drawing inspiration is different from being a copy cat. In the first place, Carly doesn't even closely resemble Angelina in body type or facial features. I wonder would your opinion have been different had I not even mentioned Jolie?

With regard to editing my work, I normally don't mind, but removing a tattoo isn't a change that I would make without asking first. Ink is typically something very personal and is part of Carly's persona.

I made this image overly warm on purpose. Carly's natural skin tone is very pale, and my goal was to make the appearance look 'kodachrome' like. Reality aside, the color balance and skin tones are as I intended.

I will delete what I did. I apologize for that. Removing the tattoo was me giving it a modeling appearance as most magazines/whatever want the clean skin look.

Even without the comparison shot of Jolie, it still looks stiff and unnatural to me. She's doesn't look like she's really into it. I went to her website and saw more of her stuff. Her "edginess" shows through on those shots. Just the wrong type of pose for her, IMO. This is a pose which calls for sultry seduction.

she looks a little stiff but not that bad, guys!! i think the issue is that sometimes when models are given a specific pose it's difficult for them to feel. you have to give them an idea so they can work with it and come up with something that's natural for them. but that's just my two cents. I don't think the image is bad at all...

BTW, I'm not trying to defend my image or disagree with anyone's opinion of it. I just wanted to inform viewers of my thoughts on how I created the photograph. I actually have several edited versions with different actions and processing. I felt that this version was the one that captured my 'vision'.

Zachs you're welcome to edit and post, my only request to be not to materially change the image (abusive liquify, addition or removal of elements, etc.). I am flattered that you took the time and effort to add your interpretation of the shot. Your Photoshop skills are far beyond mine.

Thanks again for looking and commenting. Art will always bring about different opinions and I enjoy the discourse.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
I wonder would your opinion have been different had I not even mentioned Jolie?

Bingo!

God knows I've done my share of copying poses from magazines and I can honestly say I've never gotten one that did anything better than sucked. Take AJ out of the equation and I think it's a technically excellent shot. I went to her website and don't see anything better there. Frankly I don't think she makes a very convincing actor.

Scott, I like it. Her long limbs are framed well by this shot, and I like the overall composition and feel of the image. It has a flowing composition, and perfect exposure, to my eye.

Scott,

IMO, something is not balanced with the image, but I can't put my finger on it. Do you normally crop at the joint?

The important thing, is your vision, the one you saw before you ever fired that shutter.:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom