Carolina Version of the Gator Farm

Shot these a couple winters back at the Waccatee Zoo near Myrtle Beach. Unfortunately we leave there before breeding is in full swing and before the foliage is on the trees. So some of the birds aren't yet in full plumage and the cypress are still naked so BGs are messy.

1) Classic GE
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) GE preening

3) GE peekaboo

4) Male anhinga still molting on head/neck.

5) Same bird flew into sunlight and lit up the color around the eyes. This bird was flying back and forth gathering nesting material and taking it to the hen on the nest. Rather than picking up dead branches like the egrets it was landing in a tree and breaking off green branches. Don't know if that's typical behavior of the species or just a picky bird.

Real Name
Randy
great set

I need to hit this place next year.
when are you guys arriving this year ? We need meet at the fish lift and TG for 500pf since it's all flight shots. The D500 + 500pf will be perfect, I shot a D5 + 500/4 on previous trips and I hate BIF from a tripod and HHing days are def gone

These are really nice! Don't you just love that plumage on the Egrets?! Beautiful, beautiful birds......
Thanks, Connie. They are beautiful birds.
Beautiful set drr1531.
Nice colors and details.
Well done.🦢
Thanks, Bob.
great set

I need to hit this place next year.
when are you guys arriving this year ? We need meet at the fish lift and TG for 500pf since it's all flight shots. The D500 + 500pf will be perfect, I shot a D5 + 500/4 on previous trips and I hate BIF from a tripod and HHing days are def gone
Hey, Randy. I wouldn't go to Waccatee until around April 1. I've been there in mid-March both times and per my post the leaves aren't on the trees yet which makes for really messy BG. Also the birds start nesting as far from the boardwalk as possible and fill in as the season progresses. I'm told they are nesting right over/against the boardwalk later into the season. Light is best early. Afternoons would be backlit.

Unless the covid situation changes our plans we'll be there Jan 1 through Mar 31. If I recall the lift doesn't open until some time in March. We definitely need to hit it. Assuming they're open.
Top notch work Dan, very well done.
Thanks, Louie. It's fun once in a while to shoot a target rich environment where you can focus on trying to be creative rather than just grabbing what you can.

GORGEOUS EGRET SHOW OFF !!👍👍👍
They know how to do it for sure.
Beautiful set with some exceptional captures!
Thanks, Phil.
Excellent stuff. The first one is a reason why I love to shoot birds on windy days. Nice!
Thanks, Bobby. Wind is a dilemma. Given my druthers I'll take glassy water over the wind blown look. But yeah when it works it works.
Wonderful set.
Thanks, Bob. Glad you enjoyed them.
Very well done Dan.
Thanks, Bill. We'll be back in wading bird country next month :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom