1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Carp & Mallards in the Same Shot

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BigPixel, Apr 11, 2007.

1. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

That would be Coi and Mallards in Hawaii.

There's a little revervoir lake near my studio where I often go to unwind. Shallow muddy water usually but there are opportunities there. I used a polorizer and was able to capture fish and fowl together on the lake, these aren't composits. Color is not accurate in the first two, the WB was intentionally set in the converter as you see it. I pumped up the color temp to get a pinkish tone.

Comments always appreciated.

ducksandfish3darktreesshadowslong.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

ducksandfishverticalmauvewater.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

Coibrown.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

Coibrown2.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    well done, great images

3. Well done, Mike. Well thought out to get the images you wanted. Raccoons around here would have a field day at that pond!

4. Gorgeous images. Good color range for the usual muddy pond conditions.

Rich

5. Hey, Mike, pretty cool, birds and fish in the same shot. I got an Osprey last year who had invited somebodies big old Gold Koi (carp) home for dinner, but the fish didn't seem too thrilled at the invite :biggrin: :biggrin:

I like the 2nd shot the best. Not quite sure why, but something about how the fish stand out in the shadows from the leaves just looks kind of cool to me. Nice job, isn't it grand when something you plan actually works out????? I always consider that a HUGE bonus.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks LOWOLF, Sandi, Rich and Bill.

No Racoons in Hawaii Sandi, we have wild pigs and Mongeese. Evidentially neither are too interested in fish as these would be easy pickins in less than 6" of water near the shore.

Rich, thanks again for the comment on color. I shoot raw and edit shots extensively to represent a mood or feeling more than I try to capture natural color.....most of the time.

Bill, the second shot is pretty much as shot except for the slightly warmed WB that added a mauve tone to the surface color of the water. I saw what you see. The leaf shadows set the golden Coi apart in an abstract fashion and so I went with that.

Here are two shots that are more or less natural color for comparison. A dialed down fill flash & CPL was used on the Mallard & Coi shots, no CPL on the bottom pic.

ducksandfish.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

ducksripples.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Last one.

Coiwidelightdark.
    FinePixS2Pro    ---            

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent images Mike. I'm impressed at the skills and knowledge that some of our members exhibit. :smile:

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Frank, that's quite a compliment!

I enjoy having the time to experiment and play with images. I like editing as much as shooting actually. Everyone of us has a way we do things I guess. My workflow has evolved over time to include quite a few steps and I guess I feel I finally have my trusty old S2 and PP dialed in to get the color and tone I want.

Mahalo Brah.

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

experimenting with copy/image placement. Just found the way to place images in the center of the grey (for me) skin. Much better! Still wish the sidebar was medium grey though.....oh well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.