1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Carrier-based Bees in Flight

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry Lavo, Aug 26, 2008.

1. I'm going to show you some pretty lousy macro photography, but aerodynamics that I find fascinating. You can tell from the captions that I see much in the bee's flight that reminds me of short takeoff/landing carrier aircraft:

Approaching the carrier, nose up, and landing gear still retracted:
    original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/500s    ISO 800

Landin gear down:
    original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/400s    ISO 800

Settling on deck:
    original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/320s    ISO 800

Taking off again; front landing gear already retracted:
    original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/400s    ISO 800

The reason the shots are so lousy was that I had the camera set for stationary macro shots, but became fascinated with capturing at least a few shots of these fast little critters in flight. I was so preoccupied with "catching" them that I never thought to change the settings to make sure when I caught them they were sharp :rolleyes: 

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome (even caustic ones)!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.