Casual blossoms

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 13, 2007.

1. I had my camera bag in the car, so when my luncheon date called to say she'd be late, I passed some time with the d200 and 60 micro. The was a big planter pot near to the restaurant, but the flowers were dancing in the wind. I raised the iso to 200 so I could get a fast shutter speed, and practiced hand held closeups. I didn't get a very good yield, but I ended up with a couple of keepers.

Some folks say the 60 micro is clinically sharp and lacks character, but I think this catch suggests otherwise.

I moved in close for this shot of a pollen polluter, and was surprised at the amount of detail in the final version.

View attachment 90534

I was kind of disappointed when my luncheon date showed up only 30 minutes late :rolleyes:.

2. Those are excellent.

What is that first flower?

3. I have no idea, but it's a pretty little thing. It was growing outside Shen Sushi, near the Sunrise Bakery.

4. David A

David A Guest

Very nice. Great detail in that second shot.

We call those first flowers snapdragons in the UK, don't know if it's the same on the other side of the pond.

5. Frank, what aperture did you use on the second shot? There's quite a bit of DOF for a macro shot. Both captures are very nice.

Over here we call the flowers in the first shot snapdragons as well. When I was a kid my grandma used to grow them. If you pinch the sides of the flower it's "mouth" opens, then closes when you let go. We used to wear them out by the dozens!

6. Hi, Brian. I used f/5.6 for the first shot, and f/10 for the second shot.

7. photogfellow

photogfellow Guest

Those are really neat Uncle Frank!

I won't be late for our lunch date......so let's set one up!

8. Really nice shot of the pol---ACHOO!!!AhhhhCHOOO!!AHHHCHOOOOOOO!!!!--len! :biggrin:

9. God bless you.

Hey, Connie, are you shrinking, or is the lens in your avatar growing? That lens is HUGE. You must be very muscular to hold it up.

10. Like Brian, I too used to play with the snapdragon flower as a youth. Loved the way the mouth of the flower opened. Nice shots Frank.

11. Nah, not shrinking! That lens is Bertha, my pride and joy, the 200mm f/2....she weighs in at a well-balanced 6+ pounds, and on the not-light D2Xs she's definitely a handful! :smile:

12. mcdicky

mcdicky

Mar 10, 2007
    Vancouver
  13. UF, that second image is amazing!!! Wow!!! I am so glad that I didn't sell my 60. It really comes in handy for close work.

14. Both great shots considering it was a windy day. The photo of the snapdragons just jet-rocketed me back to my child hood days, the snaps used to be an endless source of fascination for me as a child. Also not a flower one sees all that often anymore in gardens.

Very nice !!!