Cat Dilemma

We have a tortoise shell cat who had kittens in our woodpile. I discovered them yesterday. She isn't wild and came out and let me hold her. I fed her and now she won't come out again. If I can catch her, I have a friend who does cat rescue.
_DSC8810.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Just feed her and let her look after her kittens. I believe this is normal cat behaviour. But I would have a chat with a vet to find out what is the best course of action.

It might be a good idea to get moggy sterilised, after she has finished with her kittens, as you run the risk of having a feline colony on your hands. I have seen it happen at a place where I worked. A stray cat was adopted by the guys on the shop floor. After a few months we had ten or more cats in the factory!

PS lovely photo BTW.

It is vitally important that the mother be rescued with her kittens as her milk (or colostrum) contain vital antibodies that will provide protection against some serious illnesses that can kill unprotected kittens very quickly. There is a presence on YouTube who called herself "Kitten Lady" who can supply very important information regarding newborns - her speciality. Maintaining the kittens body heat it most important at this age because kittens cannot self regulate it. Forget her tattoos. It is what she says that is important. Terri, if you rescue the kittens, do as she suggests. If you do not do the rescue, please pass on the Kitten Lady information to whoever does.

Last edited:
The mother is so mild and mellow. I have given her tuna and warm milk and am her best friend. Once I got her out and could see all the kittens I found out that there are SIX of them. My friend has a cat rescue. She will take care of them until the kittens are weaned. She will make sure they all have their shots and are neutered or spayed. Then she will adopt them out. I have to get them out of here soon or I won't be able to let them go..... We haven't had a cat for several years. They are all safe and secure in a pet kennel in my garage and I will take them to the pet rescue tonight.

_DSC8818.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just feed her and let her look after her kittens. I believe this is normal cat behaviour. But I would have a chat with a vet to find out what is the best course of action.

It might be a good idea to get moggy sterilised, after she has finished with her kittens, as you run the risk of having a feline colony on your hands. I have seen it happen at a place where I worked. A stray cat was adopted by the guys on the shop floor. After a few months we had ten or more cats in the factory!

PS lovely photo BTW.
It's supposed to get really cold here the next few days. I am afraid that the kittens wouldn't make it. But it's going to be good for them. I have a friend who is going to take them in and care for them until they can be adopted.

It is vitally important that the mother be rescued with her kittens as her milk (or colostrum) contain vital antibodies that will provide protection against some serious illnesses that can kill unprotected kittens very quickly. There is a presence on YouTube who called herself "Kitten Lady" who can supply very important information regarding newborns - her speciality. Maintaining the kittens body heat it most important at this age because kittens cannot self regulate it. Forget her tattoos. It is what she says that is important. Terri, if you rescue the kittens, do as she suggests. If you do not do the rescue, please pass on the Kitten Lady information to whoever does.
Thanks for the info. They lady who is going to take them is very experienced. She has run a cat rescue for many years. So I feel very good about it.

The kitties are all safe and sound in their rescue home. She had a nice heated room with a very large and comfortable cage for them to stay in. Mother was happy eating and kittens were happy sleeping when I left there. Finding them yesterday was great timing because it is raining now and is supposed to snow tonight. I don't think they would have done well being wet and very cold.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom