Catalina - problem with permissions

I recently upgraded my iMac from Mojave to Catalina. Now I can't access folders on it from my MacBook Pro because it says I don't have permission. Yet the "info" window says I have read and write permission so I don't know what I need to change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm on day 4 of Catalina experience, and have had my share of puzzlements. Couldn't programs to download, could get some to run, and was especially worried that Sophos proved absolutely impossible to run (The Univ requires it for us to us their .edu email and other access). I finally found stuf on Sophos' website that helped understand.

I'm hoping this article, from another source, will help you.

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

I'm hoping this article, from another source, will help you.

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission
Thanks, Nick. That was an interesting read, but it relates specifically to one program, something called "Duplicate File Finder". I don't have that so the article was not that helpful.

I have noticed that every time I start a program for the first time since the upgrade I'm asked to give permission for that program to access certain files or folders. I just want to use "Finder", but from another computer on my home network, to access files and folders on this iMac, and the computer says I don't have the proper permissions.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was using this as an example of the rigmarole you may/probably will have to go through with Catalina. I had to for Nikon Transfer, Sophos, Spyder, and more. Most apps don't provide any information of their website, so I used the nektony one as an example.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was using this as an example of the rigmarole you may/probably will have to go through with Catalina. I had to for Nikon Transfer, Sophos, Spyder, and more. Most apps don't provide any information of their website, so I used the nektony one as an example.
Yes, as I said I had encountered that with several programs. But this problem is with "Finder", and there is no entry for it under "Security and Privacy" in System Preferences like there is for third-party programs.

These folks seem to have solved it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250716547

"I was able to replicated this issue, and solve it with the following steps:

Computer 1 (file sharer): Disable and re-enable File Sharing under Settings > Sharing. No reboot is required

Computer 2 (file consumer): Either reboot, or force quit/relaunch Finder, then browse to your normally shared directories."

I recall having this issue with one of my upgrades (not catalina, maybe high sierra) and I think I had to run a permissions repair.

Reboot and hold down Command + R to get into recovery mode and load Disk Utility. Select the main volume (usually it goes hard drive --> volume) and do a repair disk permissions then reboot. If you have externals plugged in, i'd eject them first to make sure you don't hit the wrong one, though permissions repair is mostly harmless.

If that doesn't work, there is a terminal command that you can run on your homefolder - diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`. If terminal is too daunting, do a full backup then give it a try. Worse case is you have to restore from a backup but like above, it's not very harmless.

Lastly, you can create another admin of the machine, log in as that one, and go in to the main home folder and remove your main account then add it back as read & write.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom