Catalina's Out Today! Be a little cautious ...

D

Deleted member 4116

My developer just updated his and he's not having any issues and still runs Adobe CS6. Still messing with it though so i'll know more about it in a couple days.

After all the horror stories I was reading on MacRumors I had thought that it would be disastrous installing Catalina, but did find a few positive posts which were more encouraging. A lot has to do with the age and model of the computer, what someone already has in his or her machine and how things are set up, what peripherals they use and what is always attached, etc. This machine doesn't have that much in it and is not attached to a bunch of peripherals (I only plug in external drives when using them, and the only peripheral I use regularly with this is a Magic Mouse 2). Finally decided this morning to at least give it a try -- on the machine that isn't my main one! I'll wait until tomorrow morning to go ahead and download and install it on the 2018 MBP after this evening and tonight I've continued to use this machine which has it up and running just to be sure no unexpected snags arise..... So far so good, anyway!

Just installed Catalina to my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and Lightroom 6 (version16.4) didn't work anymore. Looks like i have to settle for ON1 or Affinity for now 'til
DXO PhotoLab 3 comes out... So my old iMac won't be upgraded to Catalina.

I use Adobe and Capture 1. The only PS problem I might encounter has to do with plugins. I don't know what C1 problems there are (some of the code is 32 bit,)

I am usually an early adopter (phones and pad are on the latest) but I am waiting this time. I did say that yesterday so I guess I have to keep telling myself to wait.

Real Name
Ken St John
I now have two machines running Catalina and both are running LR Classic CC just fine. I don’t tether and don’t use the lens tool so perhaps that’s why. Can’t speak for PS as I don’t use it at all.

I do know there were issues when I tried to use stand alone LR6 in one of the early Betas (trying to see if I could cancel my monthly CC subscription and just use LR6 plus Luminar/DxO Pro for advanced adjustments. No go!). But the Classic CC I have is running fine.

Ken

Last edited:
Probably one reason why I have had such smooth sailing with this machine, the 12" MB, is because I don't have either PS or Lightroom installed on it in any form. Also not a big fan of plug-ins. I had Aperture, but deleted it prior to beginning the download and installation. Apparently Luminar 2018 fared well and so did RAW Power, the only other photo editing app I've got in tis machine. Haven't actually tried either one, though, to check..... Actually, I rarely need to edit anything in here. I tend to use RAW Power on trips to quickly view all the images I've shot but don't do anything with them while away from home and instead wait until I'm at the larger, more powerful workhorse computer which is more suited to this kind of task.

At any rate, so far so good with this machine and Catalina.....I haven't run into any major glitches yet! (Knock on wood!)

I just have to say, though, that this machine really feels very zippy, much more so than previously, although she never was a slowpoke -- Safari is snappier and so is everything else! -- and that is very pleasing.

From what I've seen ALL Garmin Software is incompatible with Catalina as well (they are 32 bit apps). I'm going to wait until Adobe and Garmin have their issues resolved -- I do not want to upgrade into a nightmare.

From what I've seen ALL Garmin Software is incompatible with Catalina as well (they are 32 bit apps). I'm going to wait until Adobe and Garmin have their issues resolved -- I do not want to upgrade into a nightmare.

Actually, I was able to update all my Garmin Apps (Basecamp, Express, Mapmanager, Mapinstall) to 64bit versions but for whatever reason I had to go to Garmin and download the updated apps....using the "check for updates" feature in the SW did not result in any updates.

And another oddity.....The "System Report" Applications selection shows all Garmin SSW as being 64 Bit. But under Legacy SW it also shows all 3 Garmin programs as 32 bit. It looks like it's reporting on older versions of the Garmin SW which are no longer on my machine. Since Garmin explicitly states 64 bits on the software revision list it appears the Legacy 'tab' in the Mac OS system report is buggy.....

Real Name
Walter Rowe
My developer just updated his and he's not having any issues and still runs Adobe CS6. Still messing with it though so i'll know more about it in a couple days.
The Photoshop app itself may run. Plugins may have issues. The background components of Adobe are where they still have 32-bit components. The updaters and license services don't work. When it wants to reach back out to renew its license key with Adobe your developer could be unpleasantly surprised by getting locked out.

In answer to both of your questions: nope! I am using Luminar 3.and RAW Power. I had Capture One Pro in the 2015 machine that I recently sold, but never quite got along well with it so didn't bother installing it in the 2018 machine. It has been years since I've used Photoshop -- I think CS4 was the last version I had -- and I've never used Lightroom.

So, that is probably one reason the update/upgrade went so smoothly in both machines. That said, though, I have not yet opened either program to edit any images since installing Catalina. I may run into issues, but I am hoping not!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4116

The Photoshop app itself may run. Plugins may have issues. The background components of Adobe are where they still have 32-bit components. The updaters and license services don't work. When it wants to reach back out to renew its license key with Adobe your developer could be unpleasantly surprised by getting locked out.
Correct. he doesn't use plugins and we already knew the installer apps would cause issues.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
To continue Terri's post -Capture 1 pro?
Elsewhere people are not reporting issues with Capture One. I personally would wait. Apple is notorious for changing things right up the last minute before final release. Even though we can assume Capture One has been testing all of the beta releases, it is always wise to wait.

Who desparately needs Catalina on day one or even month one anyway? No one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom