Catching Cheerios

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Jewel, a Pied crow, is up on tip toes after a Cheerio. Set up was 2 sb800s to the sides, su800 on the d2x, 70-200VR. I do want to make some changes for the next session, faster shutter speed as Jewel moves around alot and fast when after the Cheerios. Manual focus seemed to work best, the AF was having trouble on the black head. I am impressed with how well the D2x handles the wide range of tones. Jewel certainly has alot of contrast.

2. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Very good shot on a tough subject. Nice tonality on the blacks and whites. A lighter background or more of a blur would help the bird stand out.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Hunter, I've been trying to think of a solution to the background issue. It's a tough place to shoot at, lots of mottled light. I've been trying to concentrate on keeping any direct sun off the bird, maybe a 3rd strobe to light the background and a little less f stop.....

4. Beautiful Capture

5. Cool shot. I'm impressed that Jewel has learned this trick and isn't bothered by the flashes.

That's just what I was thinking. The 70-200 would be plenty sharp at f/5.6, and your shutter speed would improve, too.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, she doesn't mind the flashes at all, and is quite co-operative. I held her on a glove for a while and she seemed content to let me stroke her chin, neck and head. She is a demonstration bird and travels quite extensively so she is very used to people, being handled by "strangers" and being photographed.
    I'm a little concerned about dropping to f5.6, she does move around abit when playing catch, I need some extra DOF. Learned from the last time as most shots had some OOF body parts.
    As for the 3rd strobe. I don't have a 3rd SB800, but I guess I could rig up my old SB 24 on a flash trigger and manually adjust the output to taste. Looks like another order to Thomas Dist for more Nimh's....

7. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great shot.