Caterpilar

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by biggstr6, Sep 20, 2005.

1. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I got this guy last week I think. Been so busy I lost track of time.
    D2x & 105 micro . He was hard to photograph actually , he would'nt stay still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The last one is great :smile:

Ben

3. Good shots Biggs. The holes in the plant look just like the ones in mine. Perhaps the same guy. Nice color on all shots.

4. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Hi Biggs, nice group.

All caterpillars are deaf! The noise from their feet destroys their hearing. :rolleyes:

5. Very good catch, beautiful colors.

6. Biggs, nice serie. Agreed with Ben, the last one is great. Very good DOF.

7. That's a nice fellow. Any idea what species?
    Cheers

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Thanks All, I like the last one best too , even with the little head wiggle. I tried to get him to come over the crest of the leaf a few more times ,but he was dtermined to go another way.

I dont have a clue what species he is , just liked his colors.

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    As beautiful as they are, I wish I knew a way to get them out of my garden....I have these monarch caterpillars in my garden as well and they've eaten half of my brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussell sprouts down to nubs. They totally destroyed all of my dill!

Nice captures...they last is great!

10. This is certainly the larvae of Danaus plexippus, ie the Monarch or Milkweed Butterfly and they are capable of making a bird very very ill from the toxins retain in the body of the larvae from the food plant. ASCLEPIAS Species.Normally the combination of yellow and black tells the bird to keep away, but some times they don't and have what is called a very violent reaction. ie a 'Liquid Yawn.' or 'Wretching. and it can porduce violent nausea.

Now this brings me to Leigh's post. I am absolutely amazed that she has Monarch caterpillers on her Brassicas. I have NEVER EVER heard of this before and would be most grateful for any other details or photos of this activity. The reason that I am so taken aback is that this caterpiller and the butterfly rely on the toxins obtained from the foodplant to protect itself, and there are no toxins that I know of in Brassicas. Asclepias,(Milkweed/Silkweed) yes, Cabbages etc NO. Has anybody else seen this happening? I await answers with interest.

BW. Bob F.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'll try to get some pics of it today if possible...