Cattle Egrets

Discussion in 'Merritt Island II' started by Flew, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Until I saw Harry's post from a month or so ago, I had no idea that this species could be so beautiful. Here are some that I got at the Alligator Farm on Tuesday.

All shot with the D2H / 300mm 2.8.

Some posed shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a flight shot:
    [​IMG]

A few more can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/590228/1/24766134

Thanks for looking.

2. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank - Great shots. Had to throw in that flight shot, didn't you? Rub it in, why don't you? Just kidding. I'm gonna go to the Jersey shore to shoot seaguls and stay until I can do flight shots too. For me I really think the trick is going to be hand-holding.

The cattle egrets really are beautiful at this time of year. Sibley says March through July, so I guess we caught them at their peak. My image of them until now has always been boring little white birds standing in grass they can barely see over.

Gordon

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

This one was shot from my tripod with the 300 2.8 and the big Wimberley. Hand-holding has some advantages, but overall, I think that shooting from a tripod will give better results. Confined spaces like the rookery may be the exception, but I got some of my best shots there with this set-up.

What I'm trying to say is, don't give up on the 200-400VR and the tripod yet.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Frank,

They do have a really great beauty all thier own. They sre so
    different. No one would think that drab bird sittin on a cow would be so pretty.

Good job.