1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

caught this shot today

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by mathjak107, May 21, 2011.

1. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    nikon d300 nikon 105mm vrii, sb-900 flash, topaz lens eftect ,nik tonal contrast filter

110521MM-PHOTO-11-Edit-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BELOW IS UN-TOUCHED ORIGONAL

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  2. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    Awesome!!!!

3. Beautiful shot...Love the colours...

4. Super nice shot. Love the bokeh.

5. pedroescobar

pedroescobar

Mar 22, 2010
    Spokane
  6. MannyX

MannyX

Oct 11, 2010
    Miami
    Wow. The bokeh seems unreal. Great shot.

7. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    okay ill tell ya'all how i did it.

i cant lie, the bokeh was created with the new topaz lens effect software. im having a ball experimenting. at first i thought what the heck is this software good for? but as i played im realizing just what it can do.

i put the bokeh on its own layer in cs5 blurring the entire picture softley. then simply wiped it off the bee...

the bee was brought out in detail using the nik software tonal contrast filter in the color efex set using color points to place the effect only on the bee.

as far as the shot it was a nikon d300 with nikon 105 vrii macro lens and the sb-900 flash.

i shot in manual camera so i can darken the phot as much as possible so the flash was the primary light in daytime and bingo the flash is so fast it froze the bee in space.

8. PicSter

PicSter

May 13, 2011
    Sunny Land
    awesome shot!!! I love it!

Thanks for explaining. Can we see how the original photo (without Topaz) looks like? I am considering the lens effect of topaz - haven't made up my mind yet though.

9. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    ill add the un-touched origonal under the edited up above.

10. mellonskull

mellonskull

May 23, 2011
    FL
    Wow, Great contrast from the bee to the flower!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.