Causing Ansel Adams to Roll Over in His Grave!

FINALLY got to do some shooting (I've been working far too hard or is it that I've hardly been working?) and of all places I got to do it in Yosemite for a day and a half. How do you say, YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!! ? Oh yeah, like that.

Anyway, these are just the first I've processed of the few gig of landscape shots I got. I'll also post a couple of the bear shots in the Animals (I'm not an animmalllll) thread.

Hope you like 'em.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Camera model : NIKON D100
Date/Time : 2005:05:11 15:40:09
Resolution : 700 x 495
Flash used : No
Focal length : 24.0mm
Exposure time : 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture : f/14.0
Metering Mode : matrix
Exposure : aperture priority

Date/Time : 2005:05:12 09:11:11
Resolution : 700 x 495
Focal length : 24.0mm
Exposure time : 0.0008 s (1/1250)
Aperture : f/5.6
Metering Mode : spot

Date/Time : 2005:05:12 16:14:40
Resolution : 349 x 555
Focal length : 50.0mm
Exposure time : 0.0100 s (1/100)
Aperture : f/11.0
Exposure bias : -0.33
Metering Mode : matrix

And to truly make Ansel thrash around in his coffin, I couldn't resist a quick go and doing this:

Apologies Mr Adams!

And it's good to be back here in ye olde cafe.

Neil

Neil,

Beautiful pictures. I like the #2 B&W version over the color one and I don't think Ansel Adam will trash around in his coffin if he see it. Congrats for the good work.

Very nice shots. I'm gonig to have to say that for #2 I prefer the color version. You three distinct layers of color that work very well together and enhance the composition. On the other hand in the B/W version the tonality of the trees and mountains are too similar and they just kind of blend together. Maybe if you experiment with Channel Mixer or other B/W conversion techniques you can overcome this, but given the two images show here I definitely prefer the color.

Those are splendid, Neil! Hey, I've missed seeing your smiling avatar for the last few weeks. Other than Yosemite, what's kept you so busy?

These are wonderful

I love landscape photography and just barely got my D70. I am trying to learn which lenses are best for different uses. Which lens did you use for these?

Wow, Wow, Wow.....
These are wonderful. Very nicely done. Fantastic.

Wish I were there with you but I guess these images will just have to do

Congrats

Regards

Super job on these Neil

There all very very nice, but I have to say, I reallt DO like that B&W version!

Thanks all, it's great to be back.

JeffKohn said:
Very nice shots. I'm gonig to have to say that for #2 I prefer the color version. You three distinct layers of color that work very well together and enhance the composition. On the other hand in the B/W version the tonality of the trees and mountains are too similar and they just kind of blend together. Maybe if you experiment with Channel Mixer or other B/W conversion techniques you can overcome this, but given the two images show here I definitely prefer the color.
Thanks Jeff, I agree. This was just a quick run through, I'll try to do better next time. :)

Uncle Frank said:
Those are splendid, Neil! Hey, I've missed seeing your smiling avatar for the last few weeks. Other than Yosemite, what's kept you so busy?
Thank you mon oncle. I got stuck working far too hard for a while and getting ready for my parents to visit from Oz.

Now I've figured out that Yosemite is really only a quick drive across the Central Valley, we really ought to organize a NikonCafe Attempts to Find an Unphotographed Molecule in Yosemite trip. Even if it only ends up being you and I and respective spouses, I think we could still show those excessively social Floridians a thing or two. Or at least we'd have fun.

Terri French said:
I love landscape photography and just barely got my D70. I am trying to learn which lenses are best for different uses. Which lens did you use for these?
Terri, I used the Nikon 24-85mm AF-S for these. Although I also used the 50mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 15-30mm on some as well. My wife has the D70 with the 18-70mm kit lens and it works just as nicely as my 24-85mm.

Thanks for all the kind comments folks, they're much appreciated. I'll post some more in the next few days when I can get caught up on some processing.

Oh and a late addition - Great artwork Paul, but I think you left off Ansel's beard. :)

Neil

J

jkamphof

Ansel or not, number one is a great shot. I love the yellows and the water cascading from the mountain.

Joel.

Thanks everyone!

Jay, I think the answer may have been "luck" as I notice that I spot metered it when I usually shoot matrix for landscape. And the dof should be really shallow given it's at f/5.6, but it seemed to work out fine. :)

The harder one was the first one as there was a bright sunlit foreground, dark shadows round the falls and bright sky above. I'm rapt I got that one.

Thanks again all for the comments and I should have a few more to post in a few days.

Neil

Really NicE Neil. All are excellent, but the DR and composition you captured on the first is most impressive"imo". good stuff.

I also was admiring the dynamic range in the first one. I couldn't imagine what that shot would look like if I had taken it. You did an excellent job! Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom