Causing Ansel Adams to Roll Over in His Grave!

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by NeilCam, May 15, 2005.

1. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    FINALLY got to do some shooting (I've been working far too hard or is it that I've hardly been working?) and of all places I got to do it in Yosemite for a day and a half. How do you say, YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!! ? Oh yeah, like that.

Anyway, these are just the first I've processed of the few gig of landscape shots I got. I'll also post a couple of the bear shots in the Animals (I'm not an animmalllll) thread.

Hope you like 'em.

[​IMG]

Camera model : NIKON D100
    Date/Time : 2005:05:11 15:40:09
    Resolution : 700 x 495
    Flash used : No
    Focal length : 24.0mm
    Exposure time : 0.017 s (1/60)
    Aperture : f/14.0
    Metering Mode : matrix
    Exposure : aperture priority

[​IMG]

Date/Time : 2005:05:12 09:11:11
    Resolution : 700 x 495
    Focal length : 24.0mm
    Exposure time : 0.0008 s (1/1250)
    Aperture : f/5.6
    Metering Mode : spot

[​IMG]

Date/Time : 2005:05:12 16:14:40
    Resolution : 349 x 555
    Focal length : 50.0mm
    Exposure time : 0.0100 s (1/100)
    Aperture : f/11.0
    Exposure bias : -0.33
    Metering Mode : matrix

And to truly make Ansel thrash around in his coffin, I couldn't resist a quick go and doing this:

[​IMG]

Apologies Mr Adams!

And it's good to be back here in ye olde cafe.

Neil

2. Neil,

Beautiful pictures. I like the #2 B&W version over the color one and I don't think Ansel Adam will trash around in his coffin if he see it. Congrats for the good work.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Very nice shots. I'm gonig to have to say that for #2 I prefer the color version. You three distinct layers of color that work very well together and enhance the composition. On the other hand in the B/W version the tonality of the trees and mountains are too similar and they just kind of blend together. Maybe if you experiment with Channel Mixer or other B/W conversion techniques you can overcome this, but given the two images show here I definitely prefer the color.

4. Those are splendid, Neil! Hey, I've missed seeing your smiling avatar for the last few weeks. Other than Yosemite, what's kept you so busy?

5. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Beautifull Neil,can't make up my mind if the coloured or the b/w ismy fav.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice job on this classic subject Neil!

Welcome back, we've missed you!

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    These are wonderful

I love landscape photography and just barely got my D70. I am trying to learn which lenses are best for different uses. Which lens did you use for these?

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wow, Wow, Wow.....
    These are wonderful. Very nicely done. Fantastic.

Wish I were there with you but I guess these images will just have to do

Congrats

Regards

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super job on these Neil

There all very very nice, but I have to say, I reallt DO like that B&W version!

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks all, it's great to be back.

Thanks Jeff, I agree. This was just a quick run through, I'll try to do better next time. :)

Thank you mon oncle. I got stuck working far too hard for a while and getting ready for my parents to visit from Oz.

Now I've figured out that Yosemite is really only a quick drive across the Central Valley, we really ought to organize a NikonCafe Attempts to Find an Unphotographed Molecule in Yosemite trip. Even if it only ends up being you and I and respective spouses, I think we could still show those excessively social Floridians a thing or two. Or at least we'd have fun.

Terri, I used the Nikon 24-85mm AF-S for these. Although I also used the 50mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 15-30mm on some as well. My wife has the D70 with the 18-70mm kit lens and it works just as nicely as my 24-85mm.

Thanks for all the kind comments folks, they're much appreciated. I'll post some more in the next few days when I can get caught up on some processing.

Oh and a late addition - Great artwork Paul, but I think you left off Ansel's beard. :)

Neil

12. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Ansel or not, number one is a great shot. I love the yellows and the water cascading from the mountain.

Joel.

13. WOW, the falls are really kickin'!! Nice goin' Neil!!! :D :D :D

14. Wonderful images of Ansel's old stomping grounds. You have done him proud.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Paul and all the others said it all Neil :>))

I like the color one best :>))

16. Neil,

Those are great. I'm interested how you got the exposure right on the money on #2 picture.

17. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks everyone!

Jay, I think the answer may have been "luck" as I notice that I spot metered it when I usually shoot matrix for landscape. And the dof should be really shallow given it's at f/5.6, but it seemed to work out fine. :)

The harder one was the first one as there was a bright sunlit foreground, dark shadows round the falls and bright sky above. I'm rapt I got that one.

Thanks again all for the comments and I should have a few more to post in a few days.

Neil

18. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Really NicE Neil. All are excellent, but the DR and composition you captured on the first is most impressive"imo". good stuff.

19. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I also was admiring the dynamic range in the first one. I couldn't imagine what that shot would look like if I had taken it. You did an excellent job! Hope you enjoyed your trip.

20. iunknown

iunknown

Mar 18, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Beautiful pictures Neil.. of my favorite place in the whole world.