Causing controversy!

Photography as art is not about the gear.
The d300 is a fine camera, and took terrific sharp images in its day. It did not get worse over time, it can still take great sharp images.
I can take blurry, grainy, out of focus images with any camera I own, even the new shiny ones. Especially if I add grain in post.
I do not care what kind of brush Leonardo da Vinci used when he painted.
I do not care what kind of camera you used.
I only care if the image works.
This one does, but not because you used a d300.
Gary

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Photography as art is not about the gear.
The d300 is a fine camera, and took terrific sharp images in its day. It did not get worse over time, it can still take great sharp images.
I can take blurry, grainy, out of focus images with any camera I own, even the new shiny ones. Especially if I add grain in post.
I do not care what kind of brush Leonardo da Vinci used when he painted.
I do not care what kind of camera you used.
I only care if the image works.
This one does, but not because you used a d300.
Gary
You're so right...

Well said
Klaus

It's a good image. The 'how' of it is just in-the-weeds technical minutiae.

I had put a link to documentary about Gary Winograd further down in this forum. What fascinated me about Winograd is that if you look at many of his iconic images shown in the documentary, they are often tilted, poorly exposed (by modern standards), often a very limited DR, 'grainy', sometimes barely in focus and filled with 'technical' flaws that so many internet posters whine about and critique. Yet they excell at capturing a moment, telling a story, evoking an emotion, or making the observer see something that they just would never ordinarily see.

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I Think the photo is either "I like it or I don't". Very simple. Perhaps on a more perspective note the photo represents aging. Our lives are fading becoming dark as we become older. Things are not in focus with our lives as they use to be. Our time is drawing to a close.

I Think the photo is either "I like it or I don't". Very simple. Our time is drawing to a close.
I think a photo is about much much more than whether I like it or not.
I like it, or not, is not really a criteque. It says more about me than it says about the art.
There is very good art, and I admit it is very good art, but I do not like it.
I think in this new age we glance and make a decision on an image in 2 seconds, and it is either thumbs up or thumbs down. Then we rapidly move on to the next image. We do not actually look and study, we graze and browse. That may be the new way, but I don't have to agree. I tend to walk slower and look longer. Some images then grow on me. I may not like it, but sometimes I can understand what the artist is trying to tell me, or better yet what question I am being asked.
Gary

I remember push-processing Tri-X and using the increased grain for artistic effect. Same idea. The whole idea is to "try it". If you don't like the results, try something else.

Speaking of Tri-X and grain, back in the mid-'70s when I was just starting developing my own film, one day I was short on D-76 and used Dektol to process my film. Talk about grain-!

Real Name
Heiko
I really like this photo. To me it is perfectly exposed. It shows the mood and helps focus on the subject. This is a wonderful example of "less is more". Nicely processed, by the way.

Thank you for your comment Heiko, which is much appreciated. I notice you are a tour guide for Israel. My daughter lives near Nahariya and Akko, and she is a successful Israeli artist exhibiting in hotels across the country.

Real Name
Heiko
Thank you for your comment Heiko, which is much appreciated. I notice you are a tour guide for Israel. My daughter lives near Nahariya and Akko, and she is a successful Israeli artist exhibiting in hotels across the country.
Great to hear about your daughter being a successful artist. It's not easy, she must be very talented. I've been traveling abroad and then working again so I saw your post only today. Keep on the good work!

Latest threads

Top Bottom