1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CBL colour balance filter

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Leif, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
  2. Tom Young

Tom Young

Aug 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Some people do swear by incident WB devices like this, the Expodisk, Pringles lids etc. They do have some advantages as they're less prone to being influenced by reflected light from colored objects (t-shirts, etc.) near the source of a gray card.

Used with care, reflected reading WB devices will also perform well and can cost less but you do have to be careful with what source you choose. For example, the white sheet of paper used in the cited comparison probably had some kind of brightening agent that shifted the paper more towards blue, leading to a warmer than expected WB setting. Even standard gray cards are better suited to setting exposures rather than setting white balance. Gray cards specially designed for the purpose such as the WhiBal, Digital Gray Card, etc. are better for reflected readings, but do cost more than typical cardboard 18% gray cards.

As incident devices go, I'd compare this one carefully with the ExpoDisk since the prices are similar.

Personally, I use a "Digital Gray Card" when I want a more critical than usual WB reading, and follow the WB measurementwith a shot of a Macbeth color chart for good measure. Still, that usually doesn't stop me from messing around a bit in an editor later on. :) 

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Tom: Many thanks. You've given me much to think about. Leif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.