CC Please, B&W

Ok so I'm studying more on B&W. I've researched different tips, one mainly not just turning my image into grayscale, but rather desaturate and adjust. Well I took this image sometime back and thought it might look more interesting in B&W. Now what I've done is just a test, I've played and adjusted tones. I've read that B&W is more about grays than blacks. I could be wrong on that one. Anyway, tell me what you think. Thanks!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Manuel,
In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head when you said gray. I think you should probably try working with "levels" or possibly the "channel mixer" to try and get some contrast and a little more "pop" in the photo. It just looks way too flat with no contrast. I like the image, but really think it could stand some more processing.

G

garyosborne

Agree with above. More contrast try to extract more detail in the sky

Real Name
Chris
Ah, cool Manuel! I have a collection of B&W photos of D8 and D9 cats. Decades ago I did a whole series of them.

I love the isolation and general composition of your picture, but I agree that it could stand some processing to bring out the goodness that is in there. Don't be afraid of going black, nor of hitting a few stark whites either. Rather than trying to keep it all in the middle grays, most B&W photographers try to go from almost solid black to nearly pure white. With digital b&w, this takes some processing to get it right in the Zone. :Wink: (A reference to Ansel Adams, whom you quote - he was the master of filling the contrast curve with everything in the place he intended.)

I have sent you a version of this photo by PM. I didn't want to just post it, but you may if you think it's worthwhile. It is completely your image, but processed like Adams might have done, going from black in some of the shadows of the tractor, to white in places in the clouds.

Look at some monochrome that is well done. Clouds in sun are never grey. The whole thing looks flat.

There is no midtone contrast either. Converting a decent color and doing nothing would get you way closer to ideal.

I posted an answer and my take on your other thread. Here it is again:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Please don't post the same thread in multiple places, and especially here. The proper place would be either B&W section or Retouch section.

I agree with everyone, as I thought last night, it needs more pop! Thanks guys!

Chris thank you for the kudos on composition as well as how you adjusted this image. It looks great! LOL Really I like it, it gives me a reference when I go back and adjust my images. It does have that Adams look and that's what I'm going for in my B&W. I have always admired his work!

Thanks again everyone!
Manuel

alex thanks for the CC and my apologies for the multiple postings, as well in the wrong section. Was just looking for some quick CC being I was working on some images last night.
Again, thanks everyone!!!

2nd go at it is definitely better

i use the channel mixer to try to make the image "pop"

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom