1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CC Please More Practice, This Time At Night

Discussion in 'People' started by Vin2k, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    1035092882_93edc0d1e2.

View attachment 109975

1035093770_5c26d5ffcd.

Man I need a remote shutter release, I had it on a tripod but I still couldnt help but shake the camera on a lot of the shots I took. Still not that bad though for my 1st time shooting outside at night.

2. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    46 views and no comments? Please it wont hurt my feelings, I just want to get better.

3. I dont have a shutter release either, so I use the timer when I have a long exposure. Just set it for a short time, otherwise you will be waiting for a while!:tongue:

4. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    darn I didnt think of that, thanks for the tip

5. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I like #2 and #3 the best. It'd be nice to not have the shadow on #3 though I think. How did you light these?

Good job, especially for your first try.

6. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    Sb-800 with bounced into umbrella and sb-600 bare @ 1/128. Yea that shadow came from the ambiant hitting my umbrella, I didnt even notice at the time of shooting.

7. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Perhaps the DOF is too deep and the background is too much in focus. I would like to have seen the model a little more isolated. (JMO)

8. Wow, great first attempts! I agree that a limited DOF could have cleaned up the image a bit in the first two, but the last one may have even been better if the model had been a smidgen more to the right or left so the side vanishing point could have drawn the eye back, only to be popped right back up front to the subject. I'd love to see more!

9. i believe the bridge arches in the BG detracts from that very attractive model

10. night model

The second shot is the best. Although I would have focused more on the model.
    Perhaps f2.8 would have done the trick. Another thing If you don't me being picky, is that fence... I think it's just a little too noisy. Overall you did an outstanding job on lighting. I didn't realize that the sb800 & 600 can perform so well. I'll have try your style one night. One last thing... the lights on the bridge almost seem as if if the exposure was more than half a sec. With the light beams stretching like that it takes a longer exposure. Did you photoshop that?

11. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    The exposure was long. It may of been 3 seconds because I wanted to pull in lots of ambient light. I was able to get it to trace her hair on that last shot. I only used photoshop to sharpen it a touch because I had a little camera shake on just about every shot. Next time I do a shoot like this ill use the timer or a remote. With 3 seconds your model has to be comfortable as well.

Check out strobist.com, they have lots of info for portable and low budget flash photography.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.