CD or DVD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Is there a definitive choice between CD or DVD when saving image data to a disc? Never seen one before, but I've heard mention of a GOLD DVD.

2. CDs have more error correction built into them and thus hold less. Scratches on CDs are usually not a problem. DVDs can hold more per disc, but your susceptibility to data loss due to physical wear on the disc is higher. "Gold" DVDs supposedly have a longer archival life since they use something other than the normal dye substrate.

3. So, are you suggesting the way to go for archival storage is Gold DVD, but handle with care? (i.e. white lab gloves)

4. I don't use either - I use multiple redundant hard drives in varying locations, so I'm not advocating either, really. The archival qualities of the gold DVDs haven't been proved yet, so they may/may not be worth the extra cost. I wish the Wilhelm Research people would have a go at it and see if they truly are archival.

5. Honestly, I trust discs more than hard-drives! So I'd like some way to save........away from my computer, or anything resembling a computer, the pictures of that birthday party, or that vacation, etc, etc. I don't shoot nearly as many images as most of the members of the forum, and managing the quantity of discs would be no problem at all.

6. Chris - Memorex and Delkin Gold DVDs are the best I've read about. Everything loses data/wears down overtime, no matter what you use. So it's a good idea to have redundent systems, and in five years we will all be using something new anyway.

7. And, who knows if equipment of the future will be able to read today's CDs/DVDs. (Can anyone say "Betamax" or "punch card"?) I find that I'm more complacent about data retention when it's on a static piece of media; when I have to maintain copies on separate hard drives, I'm more actively involved in checking the files regularly.

8. That's just it, though. I'm not one to go back through the files. Time was my files were important and very valuable to me. Yesterday I went back through a bunch of files and just started deleting images like crazy. If they aren't worthy of printing...........even a snapshot, then why keep them. They just take up space in my memory. Today they are mostly just snap shots and mean very little. I'm just wanting to burn a disc and file it away. If the processes change, I'll pull them out and transfer them to whatever direction technology goes. Am I nuts to be thinking this way?

9. I think your reasoning is good Chris. When the storage medium changes to something better in the future, you'll be able to transfer off of the DVDs to that medium. Just like we once could copy off of floppy discs to CDs, when CDs first came on the scene. If you have some images that are very important to you, I'd suggest you back them up on a couple of Gold DVDs, not to mention an external hard drive. And I'd also make new copies in five years, if a new preferred backup method hasn't come on the scene, because even gold DVDs will degrade. Store them in different places, so if you have an unfortunate accident, such as a fire, you won't lose both of them. If you trust online sites for backup, look into mozy.com or Carbonite, as described by Walt Mossberg.

10. Thanks for the link, David. I may check into that. But for now, I think I'll go the Gold DVD route. My work, today, with the quality of the equipment I have, just doesn't warrant getting all that concerned about it.

11. Just to add my 2 cents worth - I use DVD's simply because they do hold more than a CD.

12. Likewise, but I am now steering towards multiple hard disks (1 at work, 1 at home) and use a USB laptop drive to update between them. I figure using a small USB device to transfer between them is safer than moving one of them.

Question is, do I set up a RAID 1 at home and use the work disk as a single backup disk. 3 disks + sync drive = 4 :eek: