Centered Subjects

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, May 11, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ok, this is gonna take some getting used to!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Cool stuff. It is great fun working with new pieces of gear and it sure looks like you are enjoying this one.

4. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Looking good Chris. Are you guessing the exposures in most shots or using a light meter?

I imagine it'll feel quite odd at first shooting a rangefinder after shooting slr's for many years.

5. It appears that you're having fun! I'm sitting on the fence right now about getting a rangefinder. Not that I don't want one but about spending the bucks! I guess I'll do it vicariously watching you enjoy your new toy.:biggrin:

6. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

very cool .... i like the dog ... hahaha looks so tiny

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Paul!

Thanks Dave!

Thanks Topher!

It is a fun camera after all!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Chris! I'm guessing 80% of the time, and metering with the Gossen for tricky shots. Of the ones above, I metered only the last one.

[​IMG]

(ps, I had a range finder before.)

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

it shows.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    How?

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

better density

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You mean it's darker? Exposure is important to me, especially because I like to use and control grain. So I'm always looking for further understanding.

In #5 (through the door) I looked in the room and noticed the ceiling was dark, so I pointed the meter at the ceiling and then took 2 stops of exposure off that reading to make it a very dark gray (for iso 400 nutrix.)

In numbers 3 and 4, I know skin looks right with 1/8 second at f/2 in a dark room under a 100 watt bulb at iso 400. So that's what I did for those.

Do 3 and 4 need more exposure to make them lighter, or less? 4 is dumb, and reminds me of the statement that you can tell if the subject blinks during the exposure when using a range-finder. Fat lot of good that did me here! But 3 is the beginning of a series of dogs being themselves. I just went through Erwitt's Woof.

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I'll get back to you tomorrow. Way too much wine tonight