1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ceratomia amyntor? (caterpillar)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    This larva seems to match that of the elm sphinx moth (a.k.a., four-horned sphinx moth) in every respect except one -- size. The only quote I found for the size was 45mm -- this one measures a little over 4 inches. [It was climbing a birch (river birch), one of the favored foods of this species.]

If you think otherwise, please let me know (I have green spots on my eyes from looking at photos of green caterpillars.)

DSC_1832sm.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Hi Bob.

Firstly can I say that this is definately a caterpillar of a hawk moth, and 4 to 6 inches is not unusual for such a caterpillar in its' last instar.

However I do not think it is an Elm Hawk Moth.

Look at this link.http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/camyntor.htm

Now, if this was in the UK I would say that it was an Eyed Hawkmoth or Popular Hawkmoth

I will see what I can find out for you.

BW. Bob F

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Bob, I had looked at that site, along with dozens of others [including all 17 pages of sphingid caterpillars at bugguide.net]. The color variations bothered me a little, but this one seems to match in markings and structure (for my untrained - and now bloodshot - eye).

Thanks for taking a look, and please let me know what you find out.

4. You could go boss-eyed trying to identify all the green caterpillars in the Sphingidae group.:eek: :eek: :eek: 

I am therefore going to give then a rest and say you are correct in your ID, even though the shadings of green are very different. Perhaps this one is blushing at having its' photograph taken!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Can I say how pleased I am that you are using bugguide.net. This is a superb site but tricky to negoiate. This means that you are really getting a knowledge of a subject that you may not of had before, so this is really good news and due credit to you and NC. Mind you, you could end up being like Harry S and this really would put the 'Cat among the Pigeons.':Shocked::Shocked::866::866::505:

BW. Bob F.

5. ROTFL!!

I couldn't help myself 'Bobs', that quote is priceless! Kudos to you on the identification!!

6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Bob. The color did bother me until I saw photos and descriptions of individuals with colors of nearly white to pink to brown to green. Maybe that's this species' version of camoflage:biggrin:. As for bugguide, I agree that it's a great site -- once you learn to navigate the waters. It makes a nice complement to the BF&M of North America site. As for learning, I blame that on Nikon -- @#$@% camera keeps pushing me to learn more, but all I accomplish is recognition that there's even more I don't know:confused: :confused: . [Hmmm ... might make a good example of the second law of thermodynamics:biggrin::eek: :biggrin:.]

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Crystall, I'm glad someone gets pleasure from my ignorance -- makes it seem worthwhile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.