1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cerimonia nuziale Italiana - an Italian wedding

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Hacker, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Last weekend I covered a wedding taking place in a village called Bellano on the eastern shore of Lake Como in Italy and as you can imagine I was looking forward to it! Unfortunately when we arrived three days before the weather was not good with lots of storms and rain but the forecast was good for the weekend.

The service was taking place ina beautiful old Roman catholic church in the village with the reception at the Villa Stupenda Hotel - a place I can highly recommend if you ever visit the area.

The couple, Peter and Anja, both live in the UK and about 70 guests had made the journey for the nuptials including many of Anja's family who are Dutch.

Come the day of the wedding I was up early to be greeted with a clear blue sky and marvellous views of the lake with the Alps in the distance - perfect! Or so I thought but more of that later. here is a small collection of images from the day nearly all shot with the D3 and a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens I hired for the week.

1. Anja enjoying a chat with a friend who couldn't make it to the wedding.
    Getting-ready-10.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.Getting ready. The couple had told me they wanted 'punchy' shots with a mixture of strong colour with some mono and other effects - this was to be left to me to decide so I had pretty extensive brief which I think can be seen in this one.
    Getting-ready-24.jpg

Getting-ready-49.jpg

4. Anja had also told me she wanted some dreamy shots but without going OTT. I have done four versions of this shot but this one is my favourite.
    Getting-ready-573.jpg

5. To get to the church Anja, her Dad and I caught a taxi to the jetty where we boarded a boat to take us to the ceremony. When we arrived a few people said it was very James Bond!
    Getting-ready-81.jpg

6. Unfortunately as we arrived the blue skies had completely disappeared to be replaced by an approaching storm so the umbrellas came out. Note my assistant not paying attention.
    Getting-ready-97.jpg

7. As I said before the church was very old and more importantly, very dark. there were three different types of lighting as well as some daylight coming in through the high windows above the altar. White balance was erm.....interesting!
    Service-59.jpg

8. The look of love having just been declared husband and wife. During the service we could hear the storm booming overhead and I was already getting apprehensive about the journey back.
    Service-68.jpg

9. Making our way back to the boat through the alleys
    Anja--Peter-7.jpg

10. Rain! The view from the boat.
    Anja--Peter-23.jpg

2. 11. As we arrived the rain stopped but unfortunately the taxi hadn't arrived so the decision was taken to walk back to the hotel. Unfortunately about two minutes after we set off the heavens opened and gues who didn't have an umbrella! This shot was taken on the jetty prior to the rain.
    Anja--Peter-33.jpg

12. I haven't finished all the shots but here are a couple from the reception. The pre-pubescent boys were very excited by this blonde eighteen year old and I thought that getting her to sit down with them would make a good picture. I turned away from them until she had sat down and I think the expressions speak for themselves. My youngest James is on the left and he thought it was highly amusing to see his older brother embarrassed.
    Party-II-16.jpg

13. If you've ever been to an Italian wedding you will know the food is exquisite, the buffet lasted almost five hours and consisted of many different courses. When Peter and Anja asked about the wedding cake they were told that the traditional Italian wedding cake is flat flan, however she wanted tiers and the chef told her it wouldn't be a problem. Imagine our surprise when this behemoth appeared. The chef was so so proud of it and he was like a peacock with his chest bursting with pride.
    Party-II-27.jpg

3. drdrew

drdrew

Dec 28, 2007
    missouri
    nice lifestyle/photojournalistic feel. well done.

4. Great work! Love the style of it all. Lake Como is absolutely gorgeous, brilliant place for a wedding.

5. These are great! :smile:

6. Thank you.

I agree about Lake Como, one of my favourite places. Already planning a trip for next year.:biggrin:

Thanks John!

7. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Beautiful series - I also like the one with the teen boys. You did a nice job in the church with the crazy lighting and with all the inclement weather!

8. Nice series! I think you did well with the church images/WB.

9. Gret image swith a wondeful dialog to match - thanks heeps Colin!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.