Critique Cerueus in black and white

I continue to run through older images. I missed this one on my first editing pass.
I love black and white, often even with flowers.
This is printed 20x20" and leaning against my easel. It makes me look and smile. I can't ask anymore of my images.
It actually was tricky to print, but a nice paper with just a little bit of luster made it shine.
Thoughts would be appreciated. I am often too close to my own images.
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike, you were too quick. I noticed them as soon as I saw the image on the web- they are gone now- thanks.
I think we all have hidden gems. I have learned a lot, and uncovered dozens if not hundreds of really terrific images hidden in my archives. At least for me, the real gems are often not immediately obvious. For instance this image looked "ok" but not special until it was worked a little. I have several presets in capture one, but none made this one do anything. It took about 10min of playing before anything special started to emerge. I'm often like a bull in a china shop- but this one was pretty delicate to bring to life.
Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Stunning image, Gary! The shape and tones are exquisite! The medium toned leaves in the front of the flower "contain" the whiter parts of the flower. Balance-wise, did you try a crop with a little less black on the bottom - i.e. more centered? To me, it seems to be "floating/hovering" in the frame. Just wondering....

Thanks again!
Karen, this is one of the reasons I put images up. Sometimes I am too close to them. The flower was in a small clear vase, which I did not light at all on this image. So I know the vase is there and the spacing appears correct. To you, who has no way to know there is a vase, I see how it would look "uncentered." I will try both centering the image alittle more, or clone in a little bit of the vase from another image.
(Or maybe I'll add a sky- just kidding.)
I still enjoy looking at this in print- it has a nice glow. Something about the grey tones works here, it is stronger than several other images that look almost the same.
Gary

Thanks again, all!!
This is going in a fine art show in January.
I learned a lot from these shots, especially to take advantage of opportunities. A friend had called me one night and asked if I wanted to shoot his night blooming cereus, as it was going to bloom in the next night or two. I had never even heard of them, but what the heck. He called 3 days later and said tonight was the night. Well, it was raining, the wind was blowing. At dusk they were barely opening. It was pitch dark before they were open. They really did not look like much. The wind was moving everything, so long exposures were not going to work. I again almost gave up. But, with permission, I cut 2 blossoms off and took them home to play with a tabletop setup.
I still remember almost not even going.
But, I now have a project of 6-10 images in both color and black and white, which are some of the favorite images I have made for years.
I can't wait until next year. I have to find a better vase and learn how to light the glass better.
Yes, I gave the owner 2 large framed pieces in appreciation. Others seeing those images, have opened other doors as well. Win, win.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom