CF Card capacity question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Montec, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Why does my Nikon D300 with a 4GB CF card tell me I can get 192 12 bit RAW images on the card when at 12GB per image (average) that total would clearly be much higher? Like about 334?

Using my math... 4000MB / 12MB = 334

2. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not sure if a CF card responds the same as an SD, but just discussing "memory = memory" and not looking at brands or memory formats,
    what I've noticed is that your camera is taking an average MB for each picture take when realistically due to color variations, contrast, and a lot of other factors, that number can be higher or lower by a megabyte.

Ex: When I had a 2GB card, I believe the max pictures the camera showed was around 300. I got down to the 100 pictures left mark and at some point turned off the camera and when turning it back on, it re-reads the memory card and now magically I had another 180 left.

btw, I'm rounding numbers here, but have confirmed the same with my 4GB card on a recent trip. 1200 pictures = 4GB on my computer, but my camera only shows 600-ish pictures available.

Hope this helps.

3. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    So the numbers on the display are a very low estimate?

probably taking into consideration that all images were very detailed and at the largest possible size...

4. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Yes!
    That would be my educated guess based off of my experience with my D80 and a 2GB and 4GB SD card.

Sorry I don't have my camera around me but.. looking through a lot of my pictures shot in the best JPEG settings, my pictures range from MID 3MB to HIGH 4MB with some extremes in the high 2MB range when the picture is too dark or too light.

4096/4.8MB = 853 pictures, yet my camera only shows about 600-ish being available.

If someone with more knowledge has something different, PLEASE chime in. After all, I am the new guy. :smile: