CF Card Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by RLHodge, Oct 13, 2005.

1. RLHodge

RLHodge

Oct 5, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I just purchased a Lexar 2 GB High Speed Pro 80X CF card and I have noticed that the card becomes corrupted when I format it on my computer. I have two 1GB cards of the same type that have no problems in this regard.

The 2GB card will work in the camera just fine. I can shoot and then preview the shots with no problem. But when I try to access them on the computer, with Nikon View or any other viewer the files just will not open.

However, if I format the card in the camera I have no problems. Curious!?

Obviously it's not a huge problem as I can just always format in the camera. But it makes me concerned that the problem might pop up again at a most in-opportune time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas. :confused:
    PS: I'm formatting using FAT (not FAT32)

Thanks

2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Rick, when I first started out with digital it was mentioned to me that I should always format a card in-camera. I have used dozens since starting, have always reformatted them in camera and have never had a problem. for what its worth.

3. RLHodge

RLHodge

Oct 5, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks Mike.
    I know that's the preferred way but I've been formatting my cards both ways for several years and never had the problem before. It just took me by surprise. I initially thought that I might have a bad card.

Regards,

4. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Rick,
    I have seen this with other cards of that size. Here are a couple of things to look at.

1 make sure you are using the USB driver for the JumpShot and not the defult MS driver
    2 I have seen were the size limit is hit with CF card do the the FAT that is laid on the cards.
    3 run the DIAG that come from Lexar just to check the card for any errors.

on a side note this will not run with the MS USB driver.

hope this might help

5. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    There always seems to be some discrepancy as far as how the card is formatted (and its associating file system) between the computer and camera, even if they are technically the same.

The lesson to be learnt here is: Format in camera and all will be swell :)

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

If you format the 2GB card on the PC and run a chkdsk on it direcly, what's the results of this? 2GB is the upper limit for FAT[16] and something may not work out properly here. Try copying the files from the card to your hard drive using a command line such as Copy or Xcopy, to see whether they will open later. A file is just a data file and if the camera can see it and display the contents, so should your PC :biggrin:

On a general note, PCs should more more adept at formatting media than a camera.

7. I understand each camera model has a unique protocol or signature, therefore you will get the best results form on camera formatting. I have also heard that even with different model cameras of the same make, the protocol could be different. I had a D70 and I could not use the CF card from the D70 in my D2X.

Enjoy, Bill