CF cards; Sandisk, Lexar or...?

I've been using Sandisk, back in digicams, and the D70. I read somewhere that the D2X works better with Sandisk. Then I read somewhere else that the Lexar works better with the D2X.
I've personally never had any trouble with Sandisk, using the Ultras, and now Extremes, but just the 1 gig versions.
In the past I've used Transcend, but started buying Sandisk...and have been happy.
So is one better than the other, in pratical real world usuage? Or does it make no difference?

My D2X should be here next week.

Well technically I believe the SanDisk Extreme IIIs are the fastest cards out there right now. They write at something like 133x and have a certain technology to support this that the D2X is compatible with.
I've heard recently that some lexars have been having compatibility issues with some cameras, but this is the first (and extremely vague) negative info i've ever heard on lexars.
Personally my choice is Sandisk, but that's mainly since i've had a few sandisks and I'm partial to the labels

I've heard that there are some issues with Lexar cards and the D2x software. I have heard little, but since I buy Sandisk...I'm not worried. I've nothing against Lexar, and it would be easier to buy (available locally). I just make sure I have extra cards around.
I know some folks like these 4 gig cards and all. I'm kind of the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" type. I'd rather have multiple cards, so if something goes wrong with one....I've not lost ALL my images.

I use 3 x sandisk ultra II 1gb, 2 x sandisk ultra II 512mb cards, 3 x Kingston 1GB cards and can honestly say I cannot see a difference in either.
Never had a problem with any of them and they are all plenty fast enough writing for me.

N

nfoto

I use chiefly Lexar, for the D2X cameras I employ a stack of 1 GB and 2 GB cards (about 20 GB worth of storage space). They operate at high speed, no issues. I have also some older 1 GB Ridata cards which are noticeably slower, but otherwise function just fine.

I'm not tempted to use 4 GB or bigger cards. You never know when a problem might arise, and even 20 GB of CF cards fits into a small pocket. I store the cards in a small folder and flip the cards over when they are used, just like the old days with 4x5" film holders and their dark slide.

I use both lexar and sandisk - ultras, and 80 x and 40x. Can anyone explain to me if I should upgrade to a faster card. My shooting tastes run primarily to landscapes, some critters, mostly slow moving type of experiences....again...would I gain anything by upgrading ( using a d70...hoping to get a d200 in the near future.

Thanks

Bob

I've been using 40x and 80x Lexars and have been very happy. I have a couple of Sandisk Ultra IIs (smaller size) but when I use them, they are fine. I have always preferred the Lexars for the D100, maybe it's just marketing hype, but the WA does seem to make a small difference. The D200 will likely have Extreme IIIs until Lexar comes out with their 130x cards next year.
Bohdan, for your use, I think the 80x cards are more than fast enough, even with the D200. The D200 buffer seems large enough so that write times for short bursts shouldn't be a factor. Try them and see, if you find you are waiting for the buffer to clear, then the faster cards may be necessary, no harm in waiting and trying.

I use Lexars 80x in my D2x and have never had a problem. IIRC I thought the Lexar problem was with Canon cameras and some announcement/recall/firmware was made/done.

I personally like the SanDisk Extreme IIIs. I have the 4 gig one and it works perfect in the X. No complaints from me. Great card and it even comes with photo rescue and a nice card holder to put on a keychain or as I use it, I put it on my purse and it holds 2 extra cards in the case.

Hope this helps you and a big Congratulations on your D2X. You are going to love this camera.

K

Ken-L

I use SanDisk, never had a problem. My newest one I use in my little P&S camera, and it is an SD card with the built-in USB connector.

W

waterlenz

I got a couple of 80x Ridata 4GB cards a few months ago. They are still one of the best deals out there. Two cards, 8GB of storage, for under $500. Really great for shooting a lot of pix - I get 650 jpeg plus raw with the D70.
Greetings from Alaska

I use 4GB 80X and 4GB Extreme III interchangeably in my D2X. Both perform flawlessly. Interesting to note that the usable capacity of the 80X is slightly higher than the Extreme III:confused: .

I also use 8GB Ultra II cards. This is the only card I have found incompatible with the FTX-80 Flashtrax portable hard drive.:mad: . I bought the Epson P-4000 and compatibility issues are gone!!:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom