CF cards

What's the largest CF card I can safely put in my D200? So far I have 1-16gb, 1-8gb, and 1-4gb card. Can I go with a 32gb?

What's the largest CF card I can safely put in my D200? So far I have 1-16gb, 1-8gb, and 1-4gb card. Can I go with a 32gb?

A media card is simply a storage device. A solid state hard drive, if you will, so the camera should have no problem with a 32gb card. That said, it never hurts to check your manual or the knowledge base on the Nikon website.

Hey Joe

The biggest card I buy is 4 gb. I have yet to fill up a 4 gb card out shooting. Also if a large card like a 8 or 16 goes bad you loose a LOT of images. I didn't say GOOD images just images.:biggrin::biggrin: After a day shooting I down load the images and format the card so I don't need a 8 or 16 gb.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

28 gigs at 50+ nef/jpgs per gig = about 1500 pics
, you must be shooting a claymation movie :biggrin:

Seriously, I use 2 80 gig hyper drives when I travel without my computer.

Hey Joe

The biggest card I buy is 4 gb. I have yet to fill up a 4 gb card out shooting. Also if a large card like a 8 or 16 goes bad you loose a LOT of images. I didn't say GOOD images just images.:biggrin::biggrin: After a day shooting I down load the images and format the card so I don't need a 8 or 16 gb.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

My thoughts exactly. I only shoot 4Gs and if it's an extended shoot I download the shots to my Hyperdrive HD80 - which uses AA batteries. It's the perfect solution for me.

Sandisk Extreme...

I use 8Gb Extreme IV in my D300 (sometimes a 4Gb Extreme IV) I have 4 of each.
In the D200 I use 4Gb Extreme III's.

I use 2GB and 4GB cards, and upload at the location to my picture porter 120 GB external drive. (plug the card in and it backs everything up automatically) That way when I leave a paid session I have 2 copies of every NEF with me just in case.

For a long time I was more than happy with 2 GB cards. Then I started shooting RAW with the D200 and so increased my cards to 4 GB ones. When I moved to the D3 and D300 last year I bumped up my CF card capacity again, so now I shoot primarily with 8 GB cards when out on an all-day or extended shooting session. When just strolling around home I really prefer a 4 GB. When testing out a new lens or a new camera body I usually use a 2 GB card since I'll only be doing a few shots and want to get them into the computer quickly. I would be very hesitant to move to a 16 GB card and a 32 GB card seems totally unfathomable. That's a lot of images which could all too easily be lost in some sort of snafu......

Usually when I'm traveling I do have my laptop with me so that I can get the images from the card into the computer and also an external HD for backup, that helps enormously. If for some reason I didn't have that backup resource available I still would be reluctant to put all of my photographic "eggs" into one "basket," so to speak, by using a couple of 16 GB cards in lieu of four of my 8 GB cards.....

As for which is the largest CF card capacity you could use in your D200, I'm not sure, but I'd really be hesitant to stick a 32 GB or even a 16 GB card in there. The D200 may not be able to handle that kind of load.

When I had the D200 the largest I shot with was 8gb. I think that was the largest Nikon recommended at the time ... Now I have 2-4gb, 2-8gb and 1-16gb for my D300, and shoot all of them.

My manual for the D3 says

My manual for the D3 says the max size recommended is 8 gigs - yet I have two 16 gig cards in there ... Try the 32 gigs see if it work - I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't but I wouldn't with a D200 - the more memory you use the more power it takes to manage... The D200 is a power hungry device without the aid of extra memory... Just my 2 cents. I have put 16 gig cards in a D2Hs and D300 without any issues...

I actually gave away all my cards which were less than 8 gigs... I now have, three 8 gig cards for the D300 and four 16 gig cards for the D3 ... Those 8 gig cards will shortly be all replaced by 16 gigs... But they have 32 gig cards out - now that may change things a little.

Thanx for the wealth of info everybody!!! I guess I'm going to stick to multiple 8gb cards.

Dude... when did you buy a D200? Didn't you start with a D80 when you joined this site not too long ago? Did I miss something :confused::wink::smile:

I actually started with a D40. Then I sold that on here to get my D80. Last week my wife bought the D200 for a gift. :biggrin:

Come on dude. Catch up!:cool:

In case anyone is interested, Lexar has their recurring rebates on media going on through 31 AUG. 300x UDMA 2-4-& 8gb cards all have rebates. Checking B&H last night, a 4gb card has a $55 per card(up to 3 cards)rebate. That means that after rebate the cards are $33 each.
I did this the last time around and got the rebate in about 6 weeks. I've read about problems that some have had with rebates and all I can say is that I have yet to have a problem with Lexar as long as you follow the directions. The two main problems I have read about is that people don't send the correct info(UPC, copyof a dated sales reciept) and they send all the info in one envelope. If you check the Lexar site concerning rebates, they want a seperate request(one/envelope) for each reqested rebate.

Latest threads

Top Bottom